Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Shows that Used to be the Business II




Its time for the second edition of Shows That Used to be the Business. I present to you…The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

First Memory: I remember waiting for Monday Night Football one night and flipping the channels and seeing Will Smith acting on a show. I wasn’t a huge fan of his music but I was aware of his work. Plus, I was nine at the time and very impressionable. I decided to give the show a chance and it became a talking point of my generation that I could talk with all my friends about. Good times!

Favorite Character (Main): Its easy to go with Will on this one because he was one of the coolest TV characters ever. The guy had charisma, was funny, talented, apparently good looking for the ladies even though I thought he always looked goofy.

I could place a vote for Carlton because I was so much like that dude, it wasn’t a joke. I used to wear the sweaters, like that chessy music, had no success with the ladies, had cooler cousins, the whole deal. I was even called Carlton back in the day because of the “proper” way that I talked. I have to go with him.

Wait, props should go to Uncle Phil as well. I actually found more enjoyment from him than any of the other characters. In the end, I think I’ll go with Carlton.

Favorite Character (Secondary): This is a tough one to distinguish. Do you consider someone like Jeffery a secondary character even though he was in every episode or is someone like Jazz fit this category. Or does anyone outside of the Banks family considered secondary?

If we’re going to go with Geoffery (yes, I had to look it up on the Wiki to get the proper spelling), that’s fine. He had so many one liners about Uncle Phil’s weight, I would look forward to each and every one of them. He always brought something to the table. Plus, his real name is Joseph Marcell. That’s an awesome last name.

However, I never really considered G a secondary guy, so we’ll go with Jazz.

On a side note, credit has to go Will Smith for showing loyalty to his boy and getting him on the show. Will could have turned his back on him and told him to kick rocks when he started acting. However, he didn’t and we were rewarded with Jazz. Everytime he got thrown out of the house was funny. Tremendous stuff.

Also, props to Cornflake. If you don’t know who that is, look it up, he was tremendous. Also, Will and Carlton’s high school basketball coach was funny as well. “Pass it to Will” became a running joke among my friends on our basketball team.

Least Favorite Character (Main): Aunt Vivian never rubbed me the right way, both actresses. I didn’t like her character at all honestly. However, she did show faith in the children and let them live their lives. But that’s even too hard on her.

The best part of the show was that there wasn’t a weak link in the cast. Everyone had their moments to shine.

Least Favorite Character (Secondary): Once again, tough choices. I will say that I didn’t like the rest of the Banks family besides the main characters. Whenever an aunt would visit, I wasn’t down with that. The only exception may have been Will’s grandmother.

Eye Candy Factor: This was a strong, strong category for this show. Let me tell you this, when the show was on from the ages 9-14 for me, lets just say that I began to acknowledge things in the opposite sex.

First, we had Ashley. I had a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE crush on her. It wasn’t even funny. I wanted to date her so badly. She was around my age so when she was going through things like starting to date, learning about sex, going to a different high school then she wanted, the whole deal. When Ashley dropped of the private high school to go to a public one, I had those same feelings at my private school. This made her even more attractive to me. She was attainable. I will always have a place in my heart for Tatyana Ali.

However, lets not forget Hilary. She was FINE on that show. Only now watching the repeats do I notice how good looking she was. I was in my Ashley daze but didn’t even acknowledge Hilary. Karyn Parsons can still get it any day of the week to this day.

We also had Tyra Banks, Nia Long, Lela Rochon, Vivica Fox, Robin Givens, Naomi Campbell, Stacey Dash and many other women make appearances on that show. Will’s dates alone were worth watching the show.

I guess for the ladies, we had Will but I thought dude looked goofy so I don’t know. You ladies readers of this blog are going to have to help me out on this one.

Theme song out of five stars: 5 out of 5. It covered everything that you want. It told the concept of the show, you got to see the humor and message of the show. Plus, Will does the song himself. You can’t mess with that.

If you don’t believe me, its below:





Dude, I tried to do that hook shot that missed in my school yard. I even tried that move when Will does that skip before he goes to the front door. Come on, I know that you tried it too.

Of course, I knew every word to the song, that goes without saying.

Favorite Moments:

-Anytime Will used a pickup line. He was the one to teach me that if I could rearrange the alphabet, can put you and I together.

-Ashley learning to play the drums.

-When Ice Trey visits and falls in love with Hilary. Props to the Don Cheadle cameo.

-When Geoffrey poses as the poet at Bel-Air Academy.

-The whole Kiss My Butler episode, when Naomi Campbell guest stars.

-When we learn Uncle Phil is a pool hustler

-When Carlton spends a few days in Compton.

-The episode with Queen Latifah

-When Will get stuck in the earthquake with Tisha Campbell

-When Bel Biv Devoe tries to shoot their music video at the Banks’ house. Amazingly funny episode.

-When Will battles Allen Payne from Malibu Prep for the Georgetown scholarship.

-The game show episode, you know which one I’m talking about.

-When Will and Carlton become strippers.

-When Will comes back with braids in his hair and wearing clothing that makes him look like a prisoner. Good message in that one.

-When Bel Air Prep goes coed and Ashley looks amazing. She had my heart at that moment.

-When Carlton almost gets married to his ex-girlfriend because she’s pregnant for us to learn that he’s a virgin. Been there. The virgin part, not the knocking up an ex-girlfriend.

-Will and Carlton going camping. Enough said.

-When Carlton and Will trick Geoffery into thinking that he won the lottery.

-When Carlton gets addicted to Will’s pills.

-When Will graduates and has to sing with the little kids to earn his diploma.

-When Carlton finally loses his virginity. I think many of us out there were watching this and were applauding. I know that I was.

-When Will and Carlton try to join the fraternity.

-When Ashley tries to become a musician.

-When Will poses as Ashley’s father to that fine teacher. She was smoking.

Episode archs that stick out:

-Will’s father returning to the picture. I had and still have father issues so when Will’s dad came back into town and was promising to do special things with him, I was relating to that stuff. When Will’s father leaves to go trucking and leaves Will behind, that was emotional. When Uncle Phil has to tell Will about it, I was crying the first time I saw that episode. Even now, if I see it on repeat, its emotional.

-When Will got shot. Another emotional episode. I liked how the show would have serious elements to it to go along with the humor. You really don’t see that much anymore. When Carlton goes into Will’s hospital room and shows him the gun, wow. When Will takes the gun from Carlton and starts crying, I was right there with them.

-When Trevor, Hilary’s fiancĂ© died. The reaction of everyone looking at the TV when Trevor had his bungee cord accident, priceless.

-Ashley asking Will about sex. I saw this episode a few days ago and inspired this entire post. Here you had Will, ladies man, being asked by his little cousin who he loves dearly to talk about sex. Good message. Of course this is a parallel to something I’m doing in my life with my younger family members, including a niece. That show was on the mark.

Least favorite moments: The whole final season and a half I was not liking the show as much. Several moments stick out.

1) The changing of Aunt Viv. Didn’t like it but the original actress wanted to leave and the character was important to the show.
2) Will getting engaged. Look, I love Nia Long, but this didn’t work for me.


Non-realistic/WTF moments: I think that the show was pretty realistic and didn’t have some random moments where I was confused.

Actually, let me take that back. Besides us having to believe another woman as Aunt Viv, they age the young kid like five years over one summer. Who green lit that one?

Level of personal obsession: I’ve mentioned it all above. I was hooked on this one.

Cultural impact: From the music, clothing, dancing, greetings, this show hit a nerve for all cultures and races. Everyone could relate to the show.

Would this show work in 2009: That’s a tough one. I think that the issues are relevant, but there has been such a crossover of races and cultures into the rich, “Bel Air” culture. I’m not saying that Black people are all over there but its not as taboo to see rich Black people in our lives. I think that the show did send a message that a lot of us are the same no matter what our backgrounds are.

That’s all. Hope you liked this. I leave you with one of my favorite moments ever from the show.



No comments: