Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Reflections

Hey everybody. Hope you’re well. I’m in Atlanta after being in South Carolina for my grandmother’s funeral. It was an inspirational experience overall. We were sad to say goodbye to the matriarch of our family, but death is something all of us deal with.

Last month, I wrote about my great-grandmother’s death and posted how I want my funeral to take place. It’s here for your review: http://pourtoutpancakes.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-funeral.html

I won’t rehash a lot of that stuff here because you can check that out yourself. You will see my positive prospective of death. I’ll also keep a lot of personal stuff out of this post because as always, when it relates to me, I’m an open book. However, when it comes to someone else, especially my family, I have to keep it from the public.

While it’s been tough for the family to lose the two strongest women in our lives, it has brought us together. I’ve seen cousins, aunts and uncles that I haven’t caught up with years. That was a positive. I was also able to see how strong my family is in times of sadness. Everyone was able to support each other and help those who were really struggling with the death.

It was also good to see how supportive the entire community was of our family. My Nana lived in Fairfax, S.C. her entire life and raised all nine of her children there. The entire neighborhood came over to offer their condolences and bring food and drink for the family. It was very touching.

There were so many stories told about the good memories we had with each other and of course our Nana. She was an amazing woman who had such a positive affect on all of us.

I was also able to see my brother who lives in Texas, which is always good because I don’t get to see him often enough.

Sorry for the quick post, I’ll have some good posts this week, including:

-Dating advise from my 11-year-old nephew
-Olympics Review
-Why I’m glad I left the NYC, part II
-Should Religion and Sports be separated?
-MMA Review
-Cleaning out the Links
-Etc.

Have a good week.

No comments: