Monday, August 11, 2008

My MLB Predictions Update (you were right Meggie, Jonathan, Noth, you Twins and Cardinals fans and me, the Mets stink...longest post title ever!)



August is always a fun time for me. School starts up, summer is coming towards and end and I can finally focus on watching baseball and preparing for the NFL season.

However, with the Olympics taking up all of my sports viewing along with July being a huge month in mixed martial arts, I’ve fallen behind on my baseball viewing.

I wrote about the Manny Ramirez trade so I haven’t been totally out of the loop. I continue to see my Mets blow any chances of making the playoffs, good times, but besides that, I haven’t watched a full MLB game in a month. It’s been so bad that I had to look at the calendar and realize that I haven’t done an update on my MLB predictions.

As you will see, my prediction skills aren’t the best, but its always fun to look back

Let’s get to the picks.

Here were my choices before the season started for the National League:

NL East- Phillies (They’re going to win this division by default. The Mets disgust me.)
NL Central- Milwaukee (They’re only four games out, but I think that the Cubs take this one.)
NL West- Arizona (Talk about winning a division by default. I think that the first team to win five games in a row in the next month is going to win it)
Wild Card- Colorado (Terrible choice, seeing how they’re 15 games out. When I did this a month ago, St. Louis was in the lead. However, the Brewers have it now and I think that they hold on.)
NL Champions- Arizona (If the Cubs or the Brewers aren’t in the Series this season, I’ll be surprised)
NL MVP- Prince Fielder/Ryan Howard (This race is so wide open right now. Chase Utley has hit the tank. I would look at Chase, Henley Ramirez and of course, the Hebrew Hammer, Ryan Braun!)
NL Cy Young- Johan Santana (I guess this goes to Brandon Webb, especially if the Backs win the West. I still like Volquez but the Reds are so far out of it right now. Look out for CC Sabathia to maybe get consideration at the pace he’s going.)
NL Manager of the Year- Bob Melvin (Arizona was doing well but they have been below average. I think it comes down to Tony LaRussa and Gonozalez at Florida.)
NL Surprise Team- Cincinnati (They started off well, stumbled a little bit and were only a few games below .500 in early July. Not anymore. They’re definitely going for the future and it was nice to see them get rid of Dunn and Griffy. Those two guys are professionals, but it was time for a change. I like the youth movement led by Jay Bruce, Cueto and Volquez, who’s a stud. They’re not going to make the playoffs, but if they may have a future. The Marlins and Cardinals have to get looks in this one.)
NL Disappointment- Chicago and San Diego (This Cubs pick continues to look worse and worse by the day. I was on with San Diego).
NL Worst Team- San Francisco (even worse than Pittsburgh) The Giants are still terrible and getting worse by the day, making my pick look better. I’m actually cheering for them to lose more and more to make me look better. Go Nationals and Padres. The National League is terrible.

My standings predictions for each division and the current ones:

My NL East:

1) Philadelphia
2) New York
3) Atlanta
4) Washington
5) Florida

Current NL East:

1) Philadelphia
2) New York
3) Florida
4) Atlanta
5) Washington

Thoughts: The standings haven’t changed in a month and I think this is how the season is going to finish out. None of these teams are great, but I guess Philly has the best one of the lot. I’m not saying that I expected the Mets to win the World Series. Heck, I predicted that they wouldn’t make the playoffs. However, seeing how average Philly is, the Mets should win this but keep finding ways to lose. I don’t even get mad at it anymore. The Marlins have been a pleasant surprise. Washington is Washington.

I have to place the Braves in a separate category. The run is over and I couldn’t be happier. Now those spoiled Braves fans can get a taste of losing and like it! They just aren’t a good team. Their fans have been getting mad with their performance the past two and a half years, but they should save their anger. They want to blame injuries, but if the entire Braves roster was healthy the whole season, which is not possible, the Phillies and Mets are still better. Braves fans, it isn’t going to get better. Expect this for another few years. And one more thing. I love McCann, but to all of you idiots who told me that Jeff Francoeur was better than David Wright a few years ago, who’s laughing now bitch!!!! Suck on that losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moving on…

My NL Central:

1) Milwaukee
2) Cincinnati
3) Chicago
4) St. Louis
5) Houston
6) Pittsburgh

Current NL Central:

1) Chicago
2) Milwaukee
3) St. Louis
4) Houston
5) Pittsburgh
6) Cincinnati

Thoughts: Milwaukee may actually finish in first, so not too bad there. The Natti’, not so much.

Much love to the Cubs. I thought that they would be a disappointment, but they have delivered.

I’ve said this every time I do a review and I know that she reads this blog, so, once again Meggie, you were right.

The Cubs are going to make the playoffs, that much is certain. What they do afterwards is the key. St. Louis has continued to surprise. Houston and Pittsburgh aren’t worth discussing.

Actually, I’ll take that back. I like what the Pirates are doing. They are going to stink for a while but they have hope. There is no reason that they couldn’t have some successful moments like the Twins and A’s have had the past few years.

My NL West:

1) Arizona
2) Colorado
3) Los Angeles
4) San Diego
5) San Francisco

Current NL West:

1) Arizona
2) Los Angeles
3) Colorado
4) San Francisco
5) San Diego

Thoughts: Arizona was doing so well and then something happened. The Dodgers are the team that I think is going to pull this division out especially with Manny playing hard all of a sudden. This is the worst division in baseball, pathetic play and I don’t want to discuss it anymore.

On to the American League:

AL East- Boston (Tampa is for real. No one saw that coming)
AL Central- Cleveland (oy vey as in the second worst record in the AL. Same as last month. There’s no excuse for this.)
AL West- Seattle (terrible, terrible, terrible pick)
Wild Card- Toronto (They’re only eight games out, they can do it right? Yeah, I know, terrible pick)
AL Champs- Cleveland (my AL picks were terrible, weren’t they!)
AL MVP- Manny Ramirez (Well, seeing how he’s in another league right now and quit on the Red Sox, this pick is probably not going to happen. This race is wide open as well. It can go to anyone on the Angels, Red Sox or Rays. K-Rod from Anaheim is still a sleeper here.)
AL Cy Young- Roy Halladay (Another open race but watch out for K-Rod once again.)
AL Manager of the Year- Terry Francona (this is Joe Maddon’s award, manager of Tampa Bay, right now. Terry has done a good job and you have to consider that loser manager of Anaheim, the manager of the Twins and wait for it…Ozzie Guillen! Oz can pull this one out. Gotta love it. He’ll probably curse at everyone while accepting the award, looking forward to it.)
AL Surprise Team- Kansas City (terrible choice by me and I thought that they would show some signs of life for the future like Cincinnati. Not happening.)
AL Disappointment Team- Yankees and Anaheim (Yankees, yes…Anaheim’s in first place and cruising. Mixed bag.)
AL Worst Team- Baltimore (the Orioles aren’t that bad. Oakland, Kansas City, Cleveland and Jesus Christmas Seattle have worse records.)

My AL East:

1) Boston
2) Toronto
3) New York
4) Tampa Bay
5) Baltimore

Current AL East:

1) Tampa Bay
2) Boston
3) New York
4) Toronto
5) Baltimore

Thoughts: Last month, I said that the Rays are the story of baseball, but the season is long. Not only are the Rays still the story, they are for real. I still hold out hope that Boston will catch them and win the division but that’s just for my predictions.

I LOVE THE RAYS!

The Yankees weren’t going to make the playoffs before the season started and I’m sticking to it. They are too old and too young at the same time. Toronto has disappointed me a little and Baltimore is actually not a terrible team.

My AL Central:

1) Cleveland
2) Detroit
3) Kansas City
4) Chicago
5) Minnesota

Current AL Central:

1) Chicago
2) Minnesota
3) Detroit
4) Kansas City
5) Cleveland

Thoughts: The White Sox are doing well right now, so respect to Jonathan and Noth.

The Twins continue to surprise me. I thought that they would be terrible this year, but respect to them. If Liriano can come in and make a major contribution, watch out for these guys.

Detroit, Kansas City and Cleveland, nothing more needs to be said.

My AL West:

1) Seattle
2) Anaheim
3) Oakland
4) Texas

Current AL West:

1) Anaheim
2) Texas
3) Oakland
4) Seattle

Thoughts: First, they will always be Anaheim or California and not this LA crap. Next, you know that I will always resent the Angels and hope that they lose because of their manager. If you need a reminder, http://pourtoutpancakes.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-five-saddest-moments-as-sports-fan.html. God, I dislike that manager. They are the strongest team in the league and should make the World Series. However, they seem to have trouble with Boston in the playoffs, so look out for that.

Seattle sucks, its that simple.

Texas is a fun team to watch because they can score some runs. The pitching just isn’t enough. Oakland is whatever.

That’s all. I was listening to some Mars Volta and Evanescence. BTW, Amy Lee. Let's see, rocker, dark hair, beautiful eyes, great voice, she can get it anytime if you know what I'm saying!

Enjoy some of their music below:



No comments: