Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cleaning out the Links, Part IV



Once again folks, its time for Cleaning Out the Links, Part IV, which has become my favorite weekly segment on my blog.

Sunday Reflections are cool but they sometimes get personal and I express some feelings that aren’t fun to deal with. MMA Review is good as well, but not everyone is into that. This segment has some seriousness, some humor and everything in between. Without further ado…

-Here’s a list of the top-10 Unreleased Things Ever Made: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/08/the_10_most_amazing_unreleased_things_ever_made.php I agree with choice number eight. Nine Inch Nails was the truth and one of my favorite “groups” ever. Notice I said was. The Broken album is a masterpiece. What has happened with the last few albums Trent Rezner?

-Since the Olympics are currently going on, Entertainment Weekly has posted Hollywood’s spin on Olympic events. Some of these clips are pretty funny, especially Forrest Gump going to China to play table tennis. Sound familiar? http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20216974_13,00.html

-College football season is approaching and there are always those college quarterbacks who were amazing in school, yet for whatever reason it doesn’t translate to the NFL. Some are system quarterbacks (the Houston ones back in the day Andre Ware and David Klinger), some were blessed to be on loaded teams (Miami’s Gino Torretta) and some were overrated from day one (I always hated Notre Dame’s Rick Mirer).

However, the one that was saddest to see was Tommie Frazier. He may have been the best college quarterback of the past 30 years. He ran an option like no one else and that 1995 Nebraska team was the best one that I’ve ever seen, including all of the great Miami, Florida State and USC teams. Injuries caught up with him, specifically blood clots in his legs. If healthy, he could have at least been a valuable playmaker like Hines Ward or Randle-El of the Redskins in the NFL.

Here’s the link to the top-10 NFL Quarterbacks who never were: http://www.theloveofnfl.com/site/comments/top_10_nfl_qbs_who_never_were/

Here’s Tommy in his glory:



-Buffalo Bills’ special teams’ player Kevin Everett had a severe neck injury that left him temporary paralyzed in Week One of last season. However, he has recovered and is walking again. However, there was a time when that was in doubt. This poor newscaster was trying to report on his progress and see what happens:



-If there’s one thing I love eating, it’s a chicken sandwich. Here’s a link to the top fast food chicken sandwiches since 1996. How Chick-Fil-A didn’t make the list is beyond me! I may be a “yankee,” but I know good southern fried chicken: http://ghostsofwaynefontes.blogspot.com/2008/08/best-fast-food-chicken-sandwiches-circa.html

-Wrestling was a huge part of my life for many years until I got to college. However, I still hold a place for it in my heart. It was nice to see someone put together the top-30 finishing moves of all-time. The scary thing is that I’ve tried at least half of these on people in my life. War Mr. Perfect! The figure four is way, way, way too low. That’s a top-10 move at least and if done in real life can really mess someone’s leg up, which is important. I’m shocked Matt and Jeff Hardy haven’t died doing their finishes yet. I love Rocky, but the People’s elbow is weak. I can’t argue with #2 and #1

The song contains some bad words, so if you’re at work, you may want to keep the volume down:



-Speaking of wrestlers, here’s how Goldberg celebrates Hanukkah:



-My favorite ever segment on The Daily Show on Comedy Central was Even Stepvhen with Steve Carell and Steve Colbert. Here’s a link to some of the best ones: http://www.milkandcookies.com/playlist/10133/

-Super Mario Brothers may be the most famous and most played ever video game. Here are some fun facts about Mario himself: http://www.neatorama.com/2007/09/22/10-mario-fun-facts/

-I love going to the Sports Illustrated Vault and seeing old articles like this one in 1992 talking about how bad USC football is and the trouble they were having with NCAA violations. Some things change, some stay the same: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1004163/index.htm

Here’s another one from the 1977 college football preseason preview: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1092775/index.htm

Notre Dame #1, I can kinda understand back then. Texas Tech #4? Interesting. Maryland was in the top-10, odd. Houston in the top-15, not these days.

-Here’s a list of the 50-sexiest music videos of all-time: http://www.nerve.com/dispatches/nerveeditors/50-Sexiest-Music-Videos-of-All-Time/01/

Number #4 was a life changer for a young boy when it came out. I watched the video with a look of shock and just stayed speechless.

-Here are some cute animals that can really mess up your day (potentially NSFW because of bad language): http://www.cracked.com/article_15853_6-cutest-animals-that-can-still-destroy-you.html

-Here are the top-50 goals in soccer history:



I’m taking the rest of the week off from the blog because I’ll be out of town. Hopefully I’ll be back in town on Sunday for a Reflections. Until then, stay strong and listen to some more self-defense tips from Bas Rutten:

No comments: