Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zen in the gym


I had an interesting moment today in the gym.

I’ve written in the past few days about accepting myself and becoming content with my state. Hopefully some of you have read some of the stuff and found inspiration or whatever works for you.

Usually when I hit the gym, its intense stuff. I don’t want to talk to anybody, I want to stay focused on my goal and look very mean. I go into it with the intentions of getting all of my negative emotions out and channeling it towards positivity.

I was doing my usual cardio work, abdominal exercises and then I started doing dumbbell curls for my biceps. I finished a seated set and then just stopped for a moment. At this stage, I’m usually still mad and ready to rumble, however, something was different about today. I wasn’t mad.

I had no anger or aggression built up inside me anymore. As I mentioned in my Sunday Reflections a few days ago, I’ve let a lot of stuff go, including my intense desire to work out to destroy a body I don’t like. I like myself.

I finish the rest of my workout but just have a calm way of approaching it. I’ve never had a true feeling of acceptance of myself like this before and it’s scary.

I’ve used the negativity of my life in the past to drive me to do good things. Whether it was family issues, self doubt, jerks I’ve confronted personally, I’ve taken these things and made them positives.

What happens when those negatives leave you? Actually the negatives will never go away because I’m human. I just don’t feel like acknowledging them anymore because they cause pain.

I’m still going to approach my life, including my workouts, with the same intensity I’ve always had. That’s jus the way I live. But instead of taking those negatives and letting them enter me, I’m going to try to stay focused on enhancing the positive.

For some reason, when I was in the gym a Billy Idol song came on. I think it was Eyes Without a Face, but screw that. Here’s Flesh for Fantasy. My favorite is the classic guitar riff and the famous line: face to face and back to back see and feel my sex attack! As a kid, I was confused by that line, but I got older and got that line. I'll even throw in some Rebel Yell! Enjoy.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marcel, long time no bus ride, but I hope you are doing great! It sounds from this blog like you are feeling more relaxed and that is always good- I hear it makes you live longer. Take care!