Monday, July 14, 2008

Sunday Reflections (on a Monday)


Hey everyone who actually reads this blog (I’m not even sure how many of you that is at this stage).

Sorry that I didn’t have Sunday Reflections for you yesterday, I had internet problems.

I promise a week-long post fest with various topics.

They will include:

>My MLB midseason predictions review (damn Mariners)

>My Mixed Martial Arts Update. Two major shows are taking place this Saturday with the UFC and a new promotion, Affliction. I’ll give my thoughts on these shows and the MMA world in general.

>Why your boy won’t have any children anytime soon. It involves finances, straight talking to toddlers and used baby car seats.

>Updated Top-Five Women list.

>Maybe a top-five Family Guy moments.

>My final analysis of the concept of pimping being easy!

>The Josh Hamilton story, from my prospective. BTW, I don’t ever watch the Home Run Derby because of Chris Berman of ESPN. Let’s keep it real out there. Anyway, I flipped over and saw some of the homeruns that he was hitting. He has the most pure swing from a lefty that I’ve maybe ever seen. More on this when I talk about him.

This weekend, which will include Monday for our purposes wasn’t bad. Here were some highlights:

-I played video games with my friend Joel all night Friday and that was awesome. I’m now hooked on playing Splinter Cell, I think that was the name of the game. I love playing video games.

-In fact, that’s how I spent my time early

Actually on Saturday, I started by playing video games until early evening. It’s an obsession at times. I then headed over to the Green Hills Mall to walk around and read some books. That’s something that relaxes me so much, reading books in a bookstore for hours. After that, I was going to head home but two things happened.



First, I saw a long line outside of the Apple store and I later found out that a new IPhone was being released. Why were people waiting for this phone? Someone please explain this to me.

Second, I saw one of the nastiest lightening storms develop and got an up-close view of it from the Mall. It was sick. I call it nature’s fireworks show for a reason.

Because of these things I was there longer than expected, but I did get home.



-I watched The Love Guru, the new movie with Mike Myers, which wasn’t as terrible as I thought it would be. I gave it a chance and I actually laughed at some moments. I had such low expectations for it. Myers is decent and Jessica Alba really, really can’t act. She’s hot and all, but I need more then eye candy. My main man Romany Malco, or Conrad from the TV show Weeds, does an awesome job as a hockey superstar. Even Justin Timberlake does well in his role, especially his nickname in the movie. Plus Steven Colbert and Jim Gaffigan! What more do you need?

The movie is way too goofy to be taken as literally, especially the part about a star Black hockey player. That was the most unrealistic part of the movie. I mean, that can’t happen in real life. The movie lost some marks for that.






-I was kidding about that last paragraph, or was I? You and I will never know. However, its funny how the two players above grew up in Alberta, Canada. What is it about Western Canada and Black hockey players. In fact the one in the Oilers uniform is from the same hometown as Nashville's own Jordin Tootoo and hero to all, Mark Messier.

That’s all for now. See some of you around.

Here’s music from De Facto, the music project of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Cedric Bixler and Ikey Owens from the Mars Volta and the deceased Jeremy Ward. It’s a Dub group and they’re amazing. I wished they played under this outfit more, even though Jeremy’s death probably puts an end to that dream. Also, their albums are hard to find, even at Grimeys. Good fight, good night.

No comments: