Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My Stray Cat



Today was an interesting day in my continued interaction with Spanky, my stray cat friend.

About two months ago, I befriended a stray cat named Spanky. She (I think the cat is a she because I don’t see any extra equipment, if you know that I’m saying) would come to our back entrance and stare at me while I was in the kitchen. I decided to give Spanky some milk and the friendship began.

I tried not to be attached to Spanky because she was a stray and could just leave at any moment but she was so consistent. Every early evening, she would come to the same spot and I would give her milk.

At first I would yell at her and she would run away from me. Eventually she would come back for the milk, but I wanted to actually rub her and stuff like that, like a real pet.

I got some advice from a co-worker on the subject and started talking to Spanky in a softer voice and eventually she softened up. I was able to rub her without food and even pick her up. Major progress had been made.

Then, a few weeks ago, I went away to Atlanta for a week and that caused a problem. I wasn’t able to feed Spanky on a consistent basis like usual. I would see Spanky around the neighborhood and she would run away like she did months ago.

However, I finally saw Spanky approach my door tonight and I was excited. I got the milk out as usual, however, she ran away. I placed the milk down and she wouldn’t approach it until I left. She started to drink and I tried to pet her but Spanky hissed at me, something she has never done to me before.

OK, who gives a flippin crap about a stinkin cat? Spanky will recover.

Sorry for the cranky response. I love Spanky, but something more happened tonight.

For once, I want to discuss something personal on this Blog but am refraining from doing so out of respect of someone. We talked tonight and while she tells me that she’s “flattered” that I mention her on my Blog, I could sense potentially otherwise.

Her friendship means a lot to me and I don’t want to ruin it.

While I consider myself an open book when it comes to my life and discussing it on this Blog, not everyone has to be part of the story.

Here’s some Pantera to help each of us reflect.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Spanky has rabids. I think you are going to have to pull an Old Yeller on her. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I meant rabies, I apologize for the spelling mistake.