Tuesday, June 2, 2009

MLB Predictions Review (June)






Hey everyone. We’re in June and this is a good time to look at my Major League Baseball predictions and see how they’re going so far. However, first, we need to get to some business.
Music to Listen To: The Eastoner by General Midi

Its time for that down tempo beat to relax to.

Crush of the Day: Ana Ivanovic
I figured that since the French Open is taking place I figured that I would pick her. Also, she lost in the 4th round so maybe this will make her feel better.
OK, this is the first day in June and we’re starting to get an idea about how teams are performing. We’ve had some surprises and disappointments. I’ll compare my predictions to the current standings.

AL East (my predictions):
1) Tampa
2) Boston
3) New York
4) Toronto
5) Baltimore
AL East (current standings):
1) New York
2) Boston
3) Toronto
4) Tampa
5) Baltimore
Thoughts: Toronto came out of the gates flying high but have come down to earth. All you need to know about them. 18-7 record at home and 11-17 record on the road. You can’t win a division like that. Halladay is a stud but there isn’t much else. If you’re a Tampa fan, you should be concerned some. Barnett has been a pleasant surprise but Kazmir’s struggles are not a good sign. Hopefully David Price will be a spark for them on the mound and B.J. Upton can get it together. Longoria will be the MVP this year. New York and Boston have been about what you expect, even though you have to be very concerned about David Ortiz if you’re a Red Sox fan. Even Baltimore is playing respectable ball. The Matt Weiters era is in full effect.
AL Central (my predictions):
1) Cleveland
2) Minnesota
3) Chicago
4) Detroit
5) Kansas City
AL Central (current standings):
1) Detroit
2) Chicago
3) Minnesota
4) Kansas City
5) Cleveland
Thoughts: I’m done picking Cleveland to do anything well in baseball ever again. I should have known that my pick was bad when Carl Pavano was the scheduled third starter at the start of the season. Never again. Detroit has been a nice surprise, especially on the mound with Porcello, Verlander returning to form and the revival of Willis. I’m not necessarily a fan of the Tigers but I like Willis and he’s an exciting player to watch. The White Sox are OK, nothing special. I’m telling you to watch out for Minnesota. Those guys are going to be around in the end. Also, as Peter Gammons said on Baseball Tonight on ESPN a few weeks ago, the Twins need to sign Joe Mauer to an extension yesterday. He will be a Yankee or Red Sox player after next year if that doesn’t happen. You can’t have a catcher like that hit the open market. How about Zach Greinke becoming the best pitcher in baseball this season? No one saw that coming. Good for the KC fans to have something to follow.
AL West (my predictions):
1) Seattle (darn it, why?)
2) Anaheim
3) Oakland
4) Texas
AL West (current standings):
1) Texas
2) Anaheim
3) Seattle
4) Oakland
Thoughts: Why do I always seem intrigued by the Mariners? Need to move on from them. The bad part is that Bedard and Felix Hernandez are pitching well for these guys. Texas has been nice because they’re still hitting but actually getting some decent pitching. I don’t know if that will keep up but so far, so good. Anaheim are probably going to win this division again but Guerrero needs to start hitting for them to get anywhere. Oakland is about where I expected them to be.
NL East (my predictions):
1) Philly
2) New York
3) Atlanta
4) Florida
5) Washington
NL East (current standings):
1) Philly
2) New York
3) Atlanta
4) Florida
5) Washington
Thoughts: Much success! I’m so proud of myself. I really think that these standings are going to stay this way. Philly has the most talent in the division and that’s even without Cole Hammels being in complete form. He’s on my fantasy team, trust me, I’ve been following. I don’t know if Ibanez is going to keep this pace up also. Lidge also needs to find himself to help the bullpen. I will say this about the Mets. Even with Delgado, Wright, Beltran, Reyes, four out of their five best players hurting or slumping, they’re still above .500 and right in the hunt. Atlanta is a wild card because it will get some pitching boost soon. I worry about their offense. Florida and Washington are where I thought they would be.
NL Central (my predictions):
1) Chicago
2) The Natti
3) St. Louis
4) Milwaukee
5) Houston
6) Pittsburgh
NL Central (current standings):
1) Milwaukee
2) St. Louis
3) The Natti
4) Chicago
5) Pittsburgh
6) Houston
Thoughts: I thought that the loss of Sabathia and Sheets would be a bad thing for the Brewers and they may still struggle later in the year but all things are good so far. It also helps to have Ryan Braun anchor your lineup. I have to give St. Louis credit as well. I’m not the biggest fan of LaRussa but he gets the job done. I think that these guys will ultimately win the division because they have Pujols and now that Carpenter looks to be at form, it’s a wrap. I’m happy to see the Natti emerge as a respectable team. I need to get my Cueto and Bruce jerseys. The Cubs will never, ever go anywhere when guys get injured like Ramirez and Carlos Zambrano acts like a jackass. Both of those dudes on my fantasy team, not happy with either one. Pittsburgh and Houston are what they are.
NL West (my predictions):
1) Los Angeles
2) Arizona
3) San Francisco
4) Colorado
5) San Diego
NL West (current standings):
1) Los Angeles
2) San Fran
3) San Diego
4) Arizona
5) Colorado
Thoughts: This was and still is the Dodgers division to lose. San Francisco needs to make their move now if they want to stand a chance. But back to LA. The whole Ramirez saga is interesting. First, congrats to him for using a female fertility drug as a steroid. Smooth. Second, he’s going to get cheered just as hard when he comes back. Finally, I think the Dodgers are going to go to the World Series. The Giants are showing some life. The Padres have Peavy and Gonzalez and not much else, which we already knew before the season even began. Arizona already has changed a manager and Colorado will be doing that soon as well. Great division.
That’s all for now. The next review will be in July around the All-Star game. Your thoughts are always welcomed. Later folks.


1 comment:

Reds/Calipari Fan said...

You need a Joey Votto jersey long before you get a Jay Bruce jersey.

Pre-DL, Votto was hitting .360. Bruce isn't even at .250.