Thursday, June 25, 2009

NBA Draft Review (First Round)




Hey folks, I’m going to keep a running commentary of the NBA Draft that will serve as a review for each of you reading this late Thursday night or Friday morning. As usual, I have to take care of some business first.

Music to Listen To: Knock you Down by Keri Hilson




Some Keri Hilson action for you to listen to.



Crush of the Day: Tamia Hill

She’s my favorite NBA wife/girlfriend because she can sing, is a talented actress, beautiful and Canadian. LaLa Valasquez came in a close second.

Some general thoughts on things overall.

-I’ll save it for tomorrow on a non-NBA Draft day but Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson all dying in the same week. It shows that you have to cherish life and live it right because it can be taken away from you.

-Tremendous job by the USA men’s soccer team for beating Spain on Wednesday. I was going to do a commentary on the state of USA soccer in general but I’m going to save it until the Confederations Cup final against Brazil takes place on Sunday.

-A message to Al_Roker. I didn’t get my pictures about the fashion of the NBA Draft from si.com. They copied off of me. Actually I didn’t even know that si.com was going to do a photo gallery of past drafts.

-On that same note, Al_Roker, I can see how I would be condoning cheating on your significant other with my Ali Landry/Mario Lopez comments. I’m not down with cheating. No one wins in the end.

OK, rest of the post will be NBA-related

-Tremendous job by Cleveland getting Shaq. What do the Cavs have to lose by getting him?

-I miss the NBA Draft being broadcasted on TNT. You had the excellent Ernie Johnson serving as the facilitator and he runs laps around Stuart “holla, I’m going to just throw slang terms into my speech to show how much I’m down” Scott. Furthermore, you had Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley giving you honest commentary.

Everytime I hear Jay Bilas talk, I want to take a nap. He seems like a nice guy but he bores me greatly.

The only good thing that Scott contributes to the show is his terrible interviewing of the new draftees. Crap, it looks like Scott is going to be serving as the lead anchor and Mark Jones will be doing the interviews, which is an excellent move.

I’m also going to miss Stephen A. Smith yelling at me. Those were the good ole days.

-Darn, am I going to have to mute my TV everytime Dick Vitale comes on? It may have to take place.

-Yes, I’m going to mute every Dick Vitale appearance.

-I wonder who the Clippers are going to take?

-Wow, David Stern wasn’t booed as much as I thought during his intro on the podium. I guess my New Yorkers are getting soft. That’s more like it NYC fans. Screw the Lakers winning the title. As a Knicks fan, I will never, ever root for the Lakers to achieve anything good.

-I hope Blake Griffin works out for the Clippers, I really do. The only problem is that the Clippers are going to have to get rid of one of their bigs. Zach Randolph and Chris Kamann makes too much money. Marcus Camby, prepare to make a move.

-Why doesn’t the NBA have the equivalent of a Mel Kiper Jr.? Jay Bilas tries but we need someone who dedicates their life to scouting.

-Fashion rating for Blake Griffin? Solid seven out of ten. I like the purple shirt, but those are Lakers colors, be careful Blake. The black suit is a nice touch though.

-And the Memphis Grizzlies take…Hasheem Thabeet. I guess I saw this coming but I don’t like his game, especially on offense. He’s going to have to work very, very hard on that side of his game. The defense and rebounding is OK but I still think that he lacks some toughness and strength that you would like to see in your center.

-Fashion rating for Thabeet? I give his look about an eight. I prefer lighter colored suits for the taller NBA guys and he has a nice light grey with a baby blue tie.

-And the former Seattle Sonics take…James Harden. Interesting. I see where they’re going with this. They already have a point in Westbrook, forwards in Durant and Green. Harden will slide into the shooting guard spot. If Thabeet was available, they would have taken him and been probably better off. I just think that Harden needs to improve his jump shot and he’s also slow for a perimeter player.

Personally, I would have taken Tyreke Evans in this spot.

-Fashion rating for Harden? He gets a nine. The bow tie is a nice touch. I like the brown colored suit and vest. The only thing preventing this from being a ten is the white shirt with the blue stripes.

-I like Harden. I’ve heard interviews with him the past few days and he seems like a good guy.

-And the Sacramento Kings take…Tyreke Evans. Love this pick all things considered. I know that I said in my draft preview that the Kings should have taken Rubio in this spot but I’m with Evans now. Of course, Evans needs to work on his jump shot but overall, nice pick.

-Fashion rating for Evans? Seven out of 10. The black pinstripe suit is nice and he lucked out with picking out the purple shirt and tie with the Kings taking him.

-And the Minnesota T’wolves take…Ricky Rubio. The Spaniard gets taken. What’s up with the crowd chanting U-S-A? Accept all cultures people. Where can I get the Rubio haircut? I’m going to hold out on my commentary until I see the next pick.

-Fashion rating for Rubio? Eight out of 10. He’s rocking the black suit with the pinstripe blue shirt and the skinny black tie. Very European look. I like it.

-And the T’Wolves take…Jonny Flynn? What? Respect to Syracuse but really? You have Rubio and Flynn together? I’m not so sure about this one. If you’re going to go with a guard, why not DeRozen or Holiday or even Curry?

-And Golden State takes…Stephen Curry? Damn it Don Nelson? Howe many more guards do you need? Curry is a beast and will be a solid pro but where is he going to play on that team? They already have Monta Ellis at point.

And yes, as a Knicks fan, not happy. I would have liked to have had Curry.

-This is really showing how small the league is getting. You have Minnesota taking two point guards and then Golden State taking a small guy.

-Fashion rating for Curry? He gets the first ten of the evening. I like the pinstripe grey suit, the striped shirt is nice, enjoy the vest and the purple tie. Is purple the hot color of the season?

-The Knicks take…Jordan Hill. Of course he gets booed by the NYC crowd. So proud right now. I like this pick for New York because he’s a big who is athletic to run in the D’Antoni system. I didn’t think that he would be available in that spot. Furthermore, he actually looks like he wants to rebound and play some defense, which is sorely needed for the Knicks.

-And the Toronto Raptors take…Demar Derozan. I really like this move. He’s a big guard that can compliment Calderon in the backcourt.

-And the Milwaukee Bucks take…Brandon Jennings. Slight risk with this guy. None of us have really seen him play. I’m taking a pass on evaluating him. Has some nice physical skills. Van Gundy just made a good point about Jennings already facing adversity in his career. This will help Jennings in the future.

-Interesting trade between Orlando and New Jersey. Trading away Vince Carter is a mixed move. You save some money but you do get rid of your best player besides Devin Harris.

-And the New Jersey Nets take…Terrence Williams. He’s a nice slasher to work with Harris. Williams just said that he doesn’t watch ESPN? Really? That’s not possible.

-Fashion rating for Williams? Four out of ten. The grey and black isn’t working. Throw some color into your wardrobe.

-And the Charlotte Bobcats take…Gerald Henderson. What a shocker, they take someone from the state of North Carolina. He’s a solid player. Not an All-Star but has excellent value at this position in the draft.

-And Indiana takes…Tyler Hansbrough. Him and Indiana fit together. There were rumors that Larry Bird was in love with him so this pick isn’t shocking. You know that Hansbrough is going to work hard and not quit but his athleticism is lacking. However, who would you take over him? I would take Jeff Teague over him at this stage of the draft but that’s it. Good value pick but he needs to work on his interview skills and at least sound a little more excited.

-And the Phoenix Suns take…Earl Clark. Anyway, Brandon Jennings of the Bucks decided to just show up on stage with David Stern. Interesting.

-And Detroit takes…Austin Daye. This is a joke. This skinny rail is a lottery pick? He is very overrated. He needs to hit the weight room and visit some buffets to become a decent pro. He’s also not very tough and weak. He brings nothing physical to his game.

-Fashion rating for Daye? He gets about an eight out of the. I like the teal sweater.

-Just turned to MTV for some Michael Jackson coverage and saw Kurt Loder. Where has he been?

-Ok, Dick Vitale is talking. Time for the mute button and flipping to some other channels. Tons of Michael Jackson coverage as expected.

Michael, Run DMC, MC Hammer and Metallica are probably the biggest reasons why I’m such a huge music fan.

When his Bad album came out, I thought I was Michael Jackson and then when I saw Smooth Criminal, it was on. Much respect to his musical talent.

-OK, back to the Draft. Chicago just took James Johnson. He will work well with their system.

-So how long before Steve Kerr either gets fired or “resigns” from Phoenix? One year? Two?

-Philly takes…Jrue Holiday. Should have stayed in school.

-Minnesota takes…Ty Lawson. Come on, this is too much. How many frickin point guards do you need? I like Ty Lawson as a player but where is he going to play. He has to be traded at some point tonight or maybe tomorrow. Personally, I like him more than Jonny Flynn.

OK, so now we’re hearing that Lawson will be traded to Denver. That makes more sense.

-Atlanta takes…Jeff Teague. Finally. This guy is tremendous. The Hawks may finally have a point guard of the future.

-Utah takes…Eric Maynor. I like his pick as well. He’s an excellent point guard who will be a serviceable backup to Deron Williams. A forward may have been preferred in this spot in case Boozer walks but who’s available?

-Glad that the Knicks fans are booing Larry Brown. Earmuffs and blindfolds. Fuck Larry Brown. There, I said it. Moving on…

-Flipping back to MTV, John Norris makes a cameo. Still has goofy hair but just like Kurt Loder, where has he been? I like Kurt and John’s work over the years.

-The Hornets take…Darren Collison from UCLA. Nice player who will make a solid impact with New Orleans.

-Portland takes…Victor Claver from Spain. No clue. He’s going to stay in Spain because Portland always keeps their European players in Europe for a few years.

-Sacramento takes…Omri Casspi from Israel. The Israeli Nation is rejoicing right now! Once again, no clue.

-Why hasn’t Blair or Sam Young from Pitt been picked yet? If BJ Mullins gets picked before him, I’m done with trying to figure out NBA GM’s. It’s a joke that Daye was taken as high as he was earlier.

-While we’re at it, Bilas, why is every player “long?” Are there any “short” players out there?

-Dallas takes…BJ Mullins. That’s ridiculous! He SUCKS!!!! That’s awful! Bilas is saying that he’s raw. That’s code for sucking. Terrible, terrible pick! ESPN said that his Must Improve is his Post Game! He’s a frickin CENTER!

That makes me mad and I’m not even a Mavs fan!

-The former Seattle Sonics take…Rodrigue Beaubolis. Great name but have no clue about him. He’s French so you know that I have to represent for my French brothers out there. Good luck to him.

-Chicago takes…Taj Gibson. Good player.

-Memphis takes…DeMarre Carroll from Missouri. OK player.

-Minnesota takes…Wayne Ellington. Another guard. I’m done with Minnesota.

-And Los Angeles takes…actually, the Knicks bought this pick so I hope that they take one of the Pitt guys.

-OK, it looks like Darko is coming to the NYC and getting rid of Quentin Richardson. This isn’t a bad trade.

-The Knicks take…Toney Douglas. He’s a scorer. I do like the clips of him playing defense. Douglas and Jordan Hill in the same draft, not bad.

-Cleveland takes…Christian Eyenga from the Congo. Good luck to him.

I’m not going to have analysis of the second round. Time to turn it in.

No comments: