Sunday, June 28, 2009

MMA Review


Its time for that MMA Review.
So much has taken place since I’ve done my last MMA Review. I’ll have to just hit on various points and keep it moving.
-I didn’t catch any of the Bob Sapp vs. Bobby Lashley fight on Saturday but it went as I expected. Lashley got the early take down and grounded and pounded his way to a victory in the first round. There was no reason for Lashley who is still learning the stand-up portion of his game, to participate in a boxing/kickboxing style fight with a respected K-1-style fighter like Sapp.
The more interesting thing about this event is the continued development of Lashley. He’s serious about becoming a legit threat in MMA. He has the size and athleticism to do it. Furthermore, he is training at American Top Team, so you know that he is receiving some excellent training. He can definitely sign with the UFC or Affliction and at least be competitive. He’s not at a championship level yet but it ain’t going to take much time.
-I thoroughly enjoyed the Ultimate Fighter Finale on Spike last Saturday. The Clay Guida/Diego Sanchez fight is definitely the mid-year “Fight of the Year” leader. The constant energy of Guida is amazing. I’ve never seen a fighter constantly keep his high fight pace throughout an entire match like he does. However, Sanchez won the fight with some nice uppercuts and submission attempts.
You can make the argument that Sanchez could/should get the winner of the BJ Penn/Ken Florian Lightweight title fight in August. I understand that. I also liked the Kevin Burns/Chris Lytle fight as well. Joe Stevenson and Nate Diaz also had an enjoyable fight.

No comments: