Monday, June 8, 2009

Sunday Reflections on a Monday



Hey everyone. You’re getting Sunday Reflections on a Monday. It happens, lets keep it moving.

Music to Listen to: Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden





More on those guys later…



Crush of the Day: Mya

I was watching something on TV and Mya popped on my screen and I was reminded of her. Actually, it was the Lady Marmalade video she did with Pink, Lil Kim, etc.

I’ve never understood why she wasn’t a bigger star. She’s attractive, can sing, decent actress, etc. Never got that.

On to the Reflections:

-The weekend was actually pretty tame. I stayed in most of Friday and Saturday night, relaxing. Its been good to have some free nights to focus on myself and my state.

-However, on Saturday night, I ended up watching the Iron Maiden documentary film, Flight 666, on VH1. Basically, the band documented their tour from last year when they did something like 25 shows in 27 days in five continents.

It was well done, especially when we get to see some live performances from the guys. The fan base for that group is beyond loyal and kinda scary, especially in South America. It was funny when you would see the guys playing in Los Angeles or New York and it was a typical American crowd, jamming to the music but not getting to rowdy. They played in Argentina and Brazil and it was a mess, especially Argentina. There were mobs of fans at the hotel, massive soccer stadiums filled with at least 100,000 people, all for Maiden. Tremendous stuff.

-I also caught a lot of college baseball with the Super Regionals.

I love watching the games in other parts of the country besides the southeast, which I get plenty of in Nashville. I have much love for Belmont and Vandy but you see teams like Fullerton and Arizona State play and its ridiculous. The game in the southeast is more masher style, hit home runs, etc. I saw something in one of the Fullerton Super Regional games that was rare. Lead off man for Fullerton gets on base. He steals second. The second batter comes up, bunts to the third base side, he’s safe on an infield single. So now we have runners on first and third, no outs. The number three batter comes up, bunts again, runner from third scores, everyone’s safe. The number three batter bunted. How does this work?

I would be shocked if Arizona State or Fullerton doesn’t win the title this year. More on this when the World Series starts.

-Did a bad job of watching the French Open this year. Congrats to Federer. Wish I had more to add.

-Did catch some of the Memorial. Tiger is back and I’m loving it.

-New definition of Jackass. His name is Kyle Busch. Watch below:





What a bitchass move! This is why I will never, ever like any of the Busch brothers. Punks. The guitar is a trophy that the good people at Gibson work on for months and is valued at over five-figures. But for this asshole to smash the guitar like that shows what a dick he is. Sorry for the salty language but that’s how I feel.

-I spent a good amount of time on Sunday at the palace of the People’s Champion and got to interact with his spawn. That was a glorious moment. I had such a good time hanging out with the baby. I got to feed him, carry him around, etc.

It got me thinking that I want a kid. I’m always lukewarm on being a father. Some days I’m all for it and others I’m not. Just go to a store and see a kid acting up and that will make you want to refrain from having a baby for a moment.

However, it would be nice to have a child to help mold. My biological clock is ticking and I need to jump on that.

Actually, do men have a biological clock? I know that its recommended that men in their 40’s shouldn’t have kids but what about younger? Discuss.

-OK, sorry for the short Reflections but its time to get some rest.

For tomorrow, I will write about two moments over the weekend that made me cry. One was during the WEC MMA event on Sunday and the other one was on a reality show that aired on that day as well.

5 comments:

meggie said...

which part of the fullerton steal/bunt/bunt sequence was rare in college baseball? that shit happens all the time in college baseball and it's one of the reasons that college baseball is not as good as professional ball. it's almost always inexcusable to ask your 3 hitter to square around, particularly in a situation like that with 2 guys on, no outs. way to take away the potential for a big inning. conrad's favorite saying is, "if you play for one run, you only get one run." i can't even count the number of times that we have watched college teams do this. college coaches for some reason LOVE the "small ball" shit. (all that said, i have no idea the context of this particular sequence. if it all happened in the 9th inning and they were down a run or something ... then i get it.)

Marcel P. said...

Meggie, I love the passion. Fullerton was the home team, it was the bottom of the first inning and the score was 0-0. There was no particular practical reason to play like that in that sitiation.

The execution of it wasn't unique. We see that style of play often in college baseball. However, I've just never seen a home team that was the heavy favorite and a team of Fullerton's caliber do it in the first inning in a scoreless game.

While it was exciting as the casual fan to see players moving and putting pressure on the defense, it didn't make much practical sense.

However, Fullerton did score I think four or five runs in that inning, so it worked out for the team.

Param said...

Smashing a guitar is a great rock tradition. How can you disrespect him for doing that? I'm glad that he broke a five figure guitar, and if I were him, I would've broken it over the car!!!

Param said...

And yo, this biological clock, I wanna have a kid stuff is freaky man. I know that I'd feel weird thinking about kids if I'd never been in a committed relationship. Also, why can't you have kids when you're fourty? Hell if you're a guy, you can have kids when you're eighty. Why tie yourself down so early?

Jared said...

I agree with your statement about Fullerton, but I like LSU along with them. Too bad they have to play in round 2.

I am predicting a LSU/ASU final with LSU taking it in 3 games.

LSU has been the most consistent baseball team all season.

A lot of people don't realize UC-Irvine actually won the Big West by 5 games over Fullerton...But the committee really doesn't pay much attention to baseball as evidenced by the way they did their seeding.

Examples: UC-Irvine is 4 spots behind a team they beat in the regular season series and by 5 games overall in the conference race.

FSU does not get a national seed after winning the ACC Regular Season title/getting to ACC Title Game while UNC is given the #4 overall seed after not doing either thing above in the ACC and losing the season series to the Noles.

Virginia loses 12 games all year and wins the ACC Tournament Title with a 4-0 record, then not only doesn't get a regional, but gets sent to the toughest regional in college baseball to face the best pitcher in college baseball in the first game. I'm really glad to see them shove it in the committee's face by getting to Omaha.

Hopefully that all made sense.