Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Reflections





What up peoples! Hope you’re doing well. Its been a good week overall and you know that I have some Reflections.

Music to listen to: Mass Appeal by Gang Starr



No way that you’ll ever make it punk. Second favorite line from the song. The favorite line is you’ll be my son like Elroy. First, anytime you can call someone your son is nice. Second, any reference to The Jetsons is always welcomed.

Wow, two straight rap songs in my “Music to Listen To.” So proud of myself.



Crush of the Day: Sanaa Lathan


I’ve profiled Sanaa before so I don’t have to go over her credentials. While on the road with Belmont baseball last week, I came upon one of her movies, Alien vs. Predator, and it wasn’t that bad. It reminded me of her and therefore, she gets the Crush of the Day.

-I’m currently watching a kick-ass documentary on Neil Young on public TV right now. Man, I need to dedicate an entire post to him one day but he’s a prime example of someone who brilliance and internal struggle makes him such a great musician but also makes him a troubled man.

It’s similar to Dave Chapelle. Some guys brilliance in their undoing.

-So it looks like its going to be Orlando vs. Los Angeles in the NBA Finals. Not disappointed in that at all. First, much respect to Denver for having a good run in the playoffs. I was especially impressed with Carmelo Anthony’s development. Denver is going to be a major player in the future.

But Cleveland, my goodness. I admit. I thought that they were going to win the NBA title this year. However, they ran into the wrong team. Similar to combat fighting, really all of sports, but especially ones like mixed martial arts or boxing, its all about matchups. Orlando just had too many shooters for Cleveland to handle.

Really, for that matter, you have to critique Cleveland’s coaching for several reasons. First, they didn’t have a way to get James on either Turkeglu , aka the Michael Jordan of Turkey, or Lewis on the defensive end. There is no reason that Delonte West should be checking Turkeglu under any circumstances. Also, the “Pass it to LeBron” offence akin to the “Pass it to Will” from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air show shouldn’t apply for a whole series. That crap worked for Game five but was a rap by game six.

Finally, James should have stayed after the game and talked to the media. Everyone else has to do it, win or lose. You have to be a professional in that regard, even though losing is tough.

I’ll have more on this in my NBA Finals preview on Wednesday. Oh yes, they’re will be more.

-I’ve also been keeping a keen eye on the NHL playoffs as well. Stanley Cup finals are set and Detroit is already up 2-0 on Pittsburgh. I picked the Penguins to win this in seven and I stand by my picks but losing the first two is not a good start.

Furthermore, what is up with playing the first two games on consecutive nights? For those of you who don’t know, two games in the finals were played on consecutive nights for the first time since the 1950’s. Why did this take place, because NBC didn’t want to mess with the premier week of the Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien. More on that later. However, the NHL has such a bad TV deal that they can allow a TV network to determine their own playing schedule. How does Gary Bettman still have his job as the commish of that league?

-I’ve tried Jimmy Fallon on the Late Night show and he’s getting better but I’m still not won over. I’m a huge fan of Conan and spent years going to sleep to his show. I think that Jimmy isn’t that bad, but he just stumbles on himself and needs to loosen up a little bit. However, Langdon told me to give him time and I will. He has until the rest of the year.

As for Conan, he debuts tonight and I’m not sure if his act is going to fly in that city and in that time slot. You would think that doing a show in LA vs. New York and an hour earlier wouldn’t make that much of a difference but it does. The viewing audiences are completely different and the vibe is different as well. LA is all about the Hollywood, the glamorous life, sunny weather while New York is about the working man, sarcasm and the grind of cold weather. Both of them have their benefits but Conan has always been more of an East coaster. It even applies to how you handle the guest and the audience. Its going to be interesting to see.

-I’ve been intrigued by the NCAA Softball World Series this week. Those teams play at such a high level. I’m watching some of Washington and Georgia right now and its been fun to see.

Furthermore, I hate to be a typical guy on here but the “talent” on the field is solid. The west coast schools are ridiculous. Some of the Arizona and Arizona State players are stunning. Washington has some lookers as well. Furthermore you get all types. If you like a tall brunette, they got it. If you’re into a short blonde, that’s there for you too. If you like someone with olive skin or pale skin or even Hispanic or Black, no problems. Fun times.

BTW, I’m taking Florida in two games in the finals.

-The regionals of NCAA college baseball are also underway. Go Commodores tomorrow against Louisville! You knew that was coming. I’ll have some Super Regional predictions around Thursday but I really haven’t watched as many games this year in comparison to the past so I don’t have as much analysis for you.

-I told ya’ll from the beginning that I would have had no part of hiring John Calipari if I was Kentucky.

-I’m not a fan of the show but I’m getting tired of hearing about these Jon and Kate Plus Eight people. If each of them is cheating on each other and putting all of this stuff out in the media, be concerned for the kids. If they were really concerned about their relationship and the good will of the children, they would stop filming the show.

-Crap, Georgia just lost to Washington in the Softball World Series, ending their season and they’re still cheering. Those are some positive women. Furthermore, the starting pitcher for Washington can get it if you catch my drift.

-Its funny how a productive weekend can go to waste when you have a House marathon airing on the USA Network and The Game marathon on BET on during a Saturday at the same time. That ended all plans to go out.

-The amount of time indoors did make me think about my career and where I would like to take it. That will be another post for this upcoming week.

-I’ve been slacking on my MMA Reviews but a good one will be coming this Friday. All I can say for now is that the world is all about Machida and we’re just living in it.

-Tried watching The Hills “Wedding” and the MTV Movie Awards tonight but just couldn’t do it.

OK, that’s all for now. Time to get some rest but this is what you can look forward to this week on the Blog:

Monday: MLB Review
Tuesday: Final edition of What City Should I Move To?
Wednesday: NBA Finals Preview
Thursday: Wildcard
Friday: General Observations on Career
Saturday: Whatever I want
Sunday: Reflections

Until then, good night.

1 comment:

Calipari Fan said...

Calipari wasn't named in the report...While this will be bad publicity for UK right now, all will be forgotten when we start winning.

With that said...With all the borderline academic standings of UK's big time recruits this year, I wonder if this will happen again.