Monday, June 2, 2008

WEC Review, from a 'Pancakes' prospective



Since I reviewed the EliteXC event, I guess I should review the WEC event that took place on Sunday.

First, excellent production value. Normally, the WEC holds events in a small arena, however for this event; they had it at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, which was a big leap for them. I thought that they did a good job on that front.

Another thing, Frank Mir is really stepping his commentary game up and I enjoy listening to him. I honestly learn more about the sport from watching him. Since he’s an active fighter and an excellent jui jitsu practitioner, he knows all of the moves on the ground and is spot on when telling the viewers what’s happening and is going to happen. I honestly like him more than Joe Rogan, which is hard to say because I’m a big fan of Rogan, so that should tell you how much I respect Mir. I just hope that they allow Mir to keep doing the commentary while his own fight career revitalizes.

First, Rob McCullough, where have you gone. You need to find that fire again because you looked unimpressive in your win.

I see you Clay Guida and Tito Ortiz!

On to the fights, it was a good card overall. The Torres/Maeda Bantamweight title match is probably the Fight of the Year so far. Also, that second round was incredible, one of the best ones that I’ve seen in a while. Double leg submission attempts at the same time, sick. Torres is a bad man and Maeda is going to be a force in the division as well. I would like to see these guys go at it again.

The main event was great. This is what I want fans to see of the sport. Not the Kimbo Slice crap. Pulver and Faber each brought their best effort and it was a good fight. Urijah showed some excellent standup and if he’s going to get like that, I don’t know who’s going to beat him. The bloggers and forum posters out there are wondering when Jens was going to let his hands go, in other words, start being more aggressive with his boxing. The problem is that Faber was so quick with his hands and his boxing that Pulver couldn’t catch up. I would like to see these two guys go at it again as well.

It was a good fight night overall and I’m looking forward to the next event.

I was listening to some Minus the Bear while making this post and you should enjoy this band as well. Have a good night peeps.

No comments: