Thursday, June 12, 2008

Back in Georgia and feeling En Vogue (pun intended I guess)



What’s up people! I just drove in to Atlanta from Nashville safely, always a good thing.

I’m here to see my family, the entire clan, which should be an interesting because that includes my mother, father and my “step-father.” I need to get all of them in a room together and see what happens. Actually, I want a happy trip, so I won’t do that.

On my way here though, I was radio surfing and came across an En Vogue song, “Hold On.” You remember that group don’t you? They were one of my favorite groups back in the day in the 1990’s. They were talented, great singers, beautiful and just a joy to watch. I remember their videos, which I’ll link to. I even remember when they had the episode arch on Roc, an underrated show.

I used to have debates with my friends back in elementary school of which one was the cutest. All four of them, Dawn, Cindy, Maxine and Terry got votes. Don’t get me wrong, all for of them were bad and I wouldn’t kick any of them out, if you know what I’m saying. Personally, I liked Dawn the most. She’s the second one from the left in the picture above. She seemed like a rocker chick, sang lead most of the time and had some major attitude, which is a turn-on.

Terry was the second favorite one and one of the most underrated cuties in music ever. She’s the one on the far right. Terry was also my brother’s favorite, so that’s a good thing. I think for just pure looks, Terry was the top one, but she was too quiet for me.

Maxine was the most popular among my guys because she was, let’s keep it clean out there, curvy. Maxine is the third one from the left. She definitely could get it, but she was number three for me.

Cindy gets a bum rap because she was usually last, but if you saw her in the street or in a store, you would be down with her too. She’s the first one on the left in the pic. I think the fact that she was tall was a deterrent for some, but I didn’t mind.

I wish they had a bigger career and more people knew about them. When you have four women who can sing together, it’s the most beautiful thing in the world.

Now, I wasn’t around in the 1960’s and 1970’s, so I don’t have a complete view of female singing groups. And there have been some decent ones over time like SWV and Destiny’s Child, but none of them could touch En Vogue at its peak.

Their songs were great. “Hold On” is a classic and one of my favorites, “Lies,” “You Don’t Have to Worry.” I seriously recommend getting their first album, Born to Sing.

However, two of three favorite songs from the group are on Funky Divas. “Free Your Mind,” had a hard rock feel to it and I was feeling that big-time. And Dawn looked sick in that video.

My favorite En Vogue moment has to be when I saw the premiere of their video for “Something He Can Feel.” If I remember correctly, the video premiered after an episode of Roc. It was 1992 and I was 11 at the time. That video came on and I think your boy entered puberty at that moment. I was definitely feeling something while watching the video. I watched it and was just speechless. That was the first time that I acknowledged that women were awesome and I need to get a girlfriend ASAP. It’s a great song, but the visual my friends, oh the visual. The song was on heavy rotation on MTV and BET at the time and I was a happy, happy, young boy.

Thanks for reading my trek into the past. Here’s the video that turned your boy into a man and “Free Your Mind.”





No comments: