Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Updated MLB Predictions and why Meggie, Jonathan, Noth and the rest of Chicago is Happy



Since we’ve reached June, its time for me to review my baseball picks, this should be interesting…

Here were my choices before the season started for the National League:

NL East- Phillies (So far, so good)
NL Central- Milwaukee (oy!)
NL West- Arizona (solid so far)
Wild Card- Colorado (not a good choice)
NL Champions- Arizona (sticking with my pick even though Philly is good)
NL MVP- Prince Fielder/Ryan Howard (neither one is bringing it. Bring on Chase Utley, Lance Berkman and Larry Jones)
NL Cy Young- Johan Santana (Johan is doing well, but its Brandon Webb award to lose)
NL Manager of the Year- Bob Melvin (The Diamondbacks are doing their thing, good job Bob)
NL Suprise Team- Cincinnati (They started off well, stumbled a little bit, but the Jay Bruce era is in full effect. I love their young pitching like Cueto and Volquez, whose a stud. They’re not going to make the playoffs, but if they may have a future. The Marlins are obviously the choice here.)
NL Disappointment- Chicago and San Diego (I was wrong on the Cubs of course, but San Diego was a good call. I’ll get to the rest of the disappointments later.)
NL Worst Team- San Francisco, even worse than Pittsburgh (The Giants are awful, but they actually have a better record than Washington, San Diego and Colorado).

My standings predictions for each division and the current ones:

My NL East:

1) Philadelphia
2) New York
3) Atlanta
4) Washington
5) Florida

Current NL East:

1) Philadelphia
2) Florida
3) Atlanta
4) New York
5) Washington

Thoughts: I still love Philly. I thought this before the season started and Howard hasn’t gotten off yet. Utley is playing out of his mind and Rollins is going to continue to get healthy and better. The Marlins are a surprise. I though Atlanta would meddle around .500 all year and that’s what they’re doing. I never liked the Mets and they’re pathetic play and internal bullcrap with Willie Randolph. Washington is Washington.

My NL Central:

1) Milwaukee
2) Cincinnati
3) Chicago
4) St. Louis
5) Houston
6) Pittsburgh

Current NL Central:

1) Chicago
2) St. Louis
3) Houston
4) Milwaukee
5) Cincinnati
6) Pittsburgh

Thoughts: Brewers, what’s going on. I go out on a limb for you and you show your appreciation with this? The Natti’ isn’t in second, so that’s a no for me. Houston is showing some spunk, which is good. I thought St. Louis was going to be horrible and they have been more than respectful. The Cubs are the story of the National League right now, maybe all of baseball. You were right Meggie. To be fair though, I did say that I thought that the Cubs were better than everyone else in the division on paper, I just didn’t trust them. I should have trusted them, but its still early.

My NL West:

1) Arizona
2) Colorado
3) Los Angeles
4) San Diego
5) San Francisco

Current NL West:

1) Arizona
2) Los Angeles
3) San Francisco
4) San Diego
5) Colorado

Thoughts: Arizona is looking good, even though they have cooled off some. Colorado is the shocker. I thought they would contend for the playoffs and they stink right now. The Dodgers may actually win this division.

On to the American League:

AL East- Boston (good call)
AL Central- Cleveland (oy again, but there’s still hope)
AL West- Seattle (no hope here)
Wild Card- Toronto (this can still happen)
AL Champs- Cleveland (I’m being stubborn and sticking with them)
AL MVP- Manny Ramirez (I can still see Manny winning this even though Josh Hamilton is doing great right now)
AL Cy Young- Roy Halladay (this is an open race so far)
AL Manager of the Year- Terry Francona (this is Joe Maddon’s award, manager of Tampa Bay, right now)
AL Surprise Team- Kansas City (terrible choice by me)
AL Disappintment Team- Yankees and Anaheim (Yankees, yes…Anaheim’s in first place. Mixed bag)
AL Worst Team- Baltimore (the Orioles are showing something and Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City and Seattle each have worse records)

My AL East:

1) Boston
2) Toronto
3) New York
4) Tampa Bay
5) Baltimore

Current AL East:

1) Tampa Bay
2) Boston
3) Toronto
4) New York
5) Baltimore

Thoughts: The story of baseball has been Tampa Bay. To be fair, I thought these guys had young talent but I didn’t expect this. Boston is doing its thing, even though Ortiz’s injury is cause for concern. I hated the Yankees before the season and don’t like them now. I still like Toronto and Baltimore may be in last place, but they are actually playing better then they have in years. Maybe the best division in baseball.

My AL Central:

1) Cleveland
2) Detroit
3) Kansas City
4) Chicago
5) Minnesota

Current AL Central:

1) Chicago
2) Minnesota
3) Cleveland
4) Detroit
5) Kansas City

Thoughts: The White Sox are doing well right now, which should make Jonathan and Noth feel better. But none of these teams has separated themselves from each other, so this is anyone’s guess. I still like Cleveland. I never trusted Detroit, I didn’t like their bullpen, but I expected their hitting to be better. Minnesota has been a pleasant surprise because I thought they would be awful. Kansas City, I’m shaking my head in shame.

My AL West:

1) Seattle
2) Anaheim
3) Oakland
4) Texas

Current AL West:

1) Anaheim
2) Oakland
3) Texas
4) Seattle

Thoughts: First, they will always be Anaheim and not this LA crap. Second, I was wrong about Seattle, way wrong. Like the worst choice that I made in my entire predictions wrong. Wasn’t expecting that. I thought that Anaheim’s pitching would be weak but they have been good. Oakland has been a surprise, Billy Beane does it again. I hope that Josh Hamilton can keep it up because it’s a great story. I liked Josh before the season began, but I didn’t expect this.

I’ll keep reviewing my picks every month and see where I’m at.

I didn’t listen to any music while doing this post, but I was watching Family Guy. Here’s a clip.

No comments: