Monday, October 12, 2009

Some Reflections



Hey everyone, hope you had a good weekend and are enjoying your Columbus Day. I didn’t even realize that this was a holiday until someone mentioned it on one of the early morning shows today. I haven’t had a Columbus Day off since high school.

Today was a busy day at my job because my company is preparing for its biggest event of the year on Sunday, meaning that everyone is on edge making sure that everything is taken care of. I’m trying to keep my calm and do the best that I can.

Music to listen to: Protection by Massive Attack



Good to see that my Cardinals vs. Yankees World Series prediction is still in place, wait…nice exit St. Louis.

Actually this brings up my belief on baseball playoffs. I’m not going to go so far as to say that they are a “crapshoot” like Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane says, but there is an element of luck involved. The Dodgers are good but not that much better than St. Louis to garner a three-game sweep. Boston was a 95-win team this season and looked like the Washington Nationals against the Angels.

Every team goes through a three-game losing streak or drops four out of seven games numerous times during the season, however, when this happens in the postseason, your year is over.

That’s what makes runs like the Yankees in the late 1990’s so remarkable. Sure they had a high payroll, but to win three straight championships and four within a five-year period is remarkable and will most likely not happen again for a few more decades.

OK, sorry for the short post but I have to catch up on some rest and TV shows before another long day tomorrow. Later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify...Yankes won 4 in a 6-year period, and that was before their payroll went catatonic. They only had one major free agent signing on that squad:

David Cone