Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sunday Reflections


What’s going on peoples. Its time for those Sunday Reflections. It was a busy week and I should have written on here more.

Music to listen to: I Feel You by Depeche Mode






I was able to hit Grimeys and purchase some music. I got the Depeche Mode Greatest Hits and was reminded how badass this group is. You can’t deny their swagger. Its different than a hard rocker or even a rapper. I would like to have the swag of Dave Gahan for just a day. It was interesting seeing his transformation from the dorky looking in their early videos to the cocky bastard you see in the video above.

This is actually the song that made me become a huge fan of these guys. I remember when this video came out around 1993 and seeing it on MTV. Of course, I picked up the album it was on, “Songs of Faith and Devotion,” loved it and then got “Violator” and was hooked.

I know that Nicole may not be feeling this music choice but Kenisha will have my back.

Crush of the Day: India de Beaufort



Darn Big Lead. I was meaning to highlight India as a Crush of the Day in the near future but Big Lead beat me to it with a post with her picture on it today.

I was introduced to her on one of my favorite movies of the past few years, Run, Fatboy, Run and have become a fan.

-I was on the road a lot of this week for my job. Spent an afternoon in Martin, Tenn. and that’s always an interesting time. I’m usually down with living pretty much anywhere as long as I have a bed and a place to get a hot meal but that place would be a struggle. And then theirs Buies Creek, N.C.

Spending a weekend in that city really makes you feel fortunate to live in Nashville. The people are nice, especially the kind folks at Campbell, but my goodness, I would go stir crazy in that town.

-Spending this time on the road has affected my whole mantra system that I implemented at the beginning of the year.

From January to about mid-March, I was on point, getting more sleep like I told you I needed, kicking butt in class, focusing on my job, enforcing the Tapout in full effect, reading more, being a bastard but not an A-hole, etc. However a lot of that has weakened the past few weeks.

I’m not sleeping as much, having bad workouts, eating bad foods, especially fast food. I went weeks without eating out and now I’m hitting up McDonalds and Burger King like a champ.

I’ve been attending half of my classes because of work and this has made me fall behind on studies. Furthermore, I’ve had a pain in the ass cold that I’m finally shaking after two weeks.

I told you that I would learn French yet haven’t even attempted it. I promised myself that I would learn to finally play guitar but I haven’t even bought one yet.

I’m reading more, that I can say truthfully.

This is truly turning into the Marcel bitch fest but there’s a point to all of this.

I knew that I wouldn’t be able to keep up my pace from January until the rest of my life even though that would have been great.

Each of us have those phases of our life that we lose focus like I have for the past few weeks. We’re all human. I thought that my positive changes from the beginning of the year were part of a lifestyle change that I needed to make to not only live a long life but be productive. I just need to get back to that lifestyle.

I have to eat better. I have to work out more. I have to not only physically, but mentally commit to my Tapout. I have to find a way to get to get more sleep and drink water.

These sound like minor things but each of them is a microcosm of improvements that I need to make to live a better life.

-Work is fine but its strange knowing that when I graduate in the middle of May, I’m out of a job and on the bus ride from beautiful Buies Creek back to Nashville, that was weighing on me heavily.

To be honest with you, this is the first time really in my career where I’ve been somewhere and want to stay. In each of my previous jobs, I was leaving for something better, whether it was to go to school or to a better place of employment. However, this is different.

I like my job. I like going to school. I like where I live. I like my friends and co-workers here. I like the city.

However, I’ve started to realize that its time to move on. I’ve reached my maximum professionally at this stage of my career. What I mean by that is that its time for me to graduate with my sport management degree and become a full-time professional.

Unfortunately, that means leaving where I’m at now which will actually be hard to do.

The more pressing matter is where do I want to take my career. Do I want to stay in college athletics or move to professional sports? Do I want to stay in media relations and communications? Do I try to stay in the southeast or move to another part of the country? Do I bring back the afro and full beard that I rocked in college?

So many questions, so little time.

I do know two things in relation to my career:

1) Its not about the money. I want to make a good living and pay my bills but I’m not in this profession to make millions, which I won’t anyway.

2) I want to help people and have a positive impact on lives.

Actually, you can help me out with one of those questions I mentioned earlier. I’ll get to that later, this is called a cliffhanger…

-Finally saw Pineapple Express this weekend. It was good but I was a little disappointed. Out of all of the movies from the Seth Rogan/Judd Aparow crew, this was the most underwhelming. I liked Superbad and Knocked Up more.

I recommend giving it a watch but don’t get too hyped about seeing it.

-I also finally saw Super High Me, the excellent documentary by one of my favorite comedians, Doug Benson. The noted marijuana smoker goes 30 days without smoking weed and then spends the next 30 days smoking weed constantly and he records the results, video blog style. The documentary also goes into the issues of Prop 215 in California making the usage of marijuana for medical purposes legal and the complications and benefits that has caused the citizens of that state.

It was actually educational and funny.

What is up with the weed movies? It wasn’t intentional but the whole weekend was spent looking at movies where marijuana was a central theme. Odd.

-Caught the new NBC show, Southland, on Saturday. I’m in for about a month.

I know that the network is trying to build this up to be the next ER-type show because its on the same timeslot and everything. Shoot, the former producers of ER are now doing this show. Its good and has some interesting plot potential with the main characters. Its also good to see Regina King doing her thing. Always had a crush on her.

So I’ll give the show its customary month or so and see if I’ll keep watching it.

-Finally caught up on General Hospital. You can skip this section if you don’t watch the show, I won’t be offended.

Ric has some nerve telling Sonny and Jason that Claudia was responsible for the shooting of Michael. Actually, good for Ric, he should have done that months ago, instead he was content trying to sleep with Claudia behind Sonny’s back, bastard. Claudia better hope that she’s pregnant because Sonny will kill her if she isn’t. I knew that Carly was going to get pregnant months ago, that was so predictable, just like Patrick and Elizabeth hooking up in the future. Its going to happen folks. Furthermore, don’t be shocked if Jason and Robin get back together. They had a major romance back in the day and both understand each others lifestyles. Nickolas needs to be careful hooking up with Rebecca, that’s not going to end well, especially when Lucky, his brother, in interested in the same woman. Johnny and Lulu needed to break up, it was unavoidable. But Johnny, Maxie isn’t the one to jump into bed with. She has issues with Spinelli that need to be solved. I have the feeling that the writers are slowly writing Spinelli out of the show anyway.

That’s all for my General Hospital review. I could go on for another two or three pages but that’s all you need to know for now. OK, back to the Reflections.

More music to listen to: Orestes by A Perfect Circle







These are some long Reflections so here’s some more music for you.

Oh, here's India once again.
-I tried my best to watch the Masters this weekend. Last year, after watching the entire Sunday final round and playoffs of the U.S. Open with Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate going hole to hole in the most exciting golf I’ve ever seen, I promised two people that I would watch more golf this year. One is my boss, the Sager, who is a huge golf fan and the other one was one of our golf coaches in my athletic department. I even said that I would start playing, which I haven’t forgotten. I will really do that.

Anyway, I started watching the British Open after that and actually like watching the sport. Its very relaxing, especially in comparison to other sports that I watch like mixed martial arts.

Well, I watched about two hours of the Masters on Saturday and the final holes today. It was OK. I like Angel Cabrara and glad that he won, even though he made some bad shots. Actually, each of the top guys made bad shots at moments, but that’s golf.

I hate to say it but I think that I need Tiger in the mix to get excited and I hate saying that.

I’m the same guy who gets mad when people need Lebron James or Kobe Bryant in an NBA game to care. I’ll watch the Sacramento Kings and Memphis Grizzlies just as intently as Lakers vs. Celtics. I’m the same with all of my sports. I don’t like watching the games just to see the star players.

I was able to watch the British Open and the PGA Championships last year when Tiger was hurt and enjoyed it so why the change in interest level now? Don’t know.

-Enjoyed Major League Baseball’s opening week. Can I take a mulligan on my Indians winning the AL Central? No, that’s fair. Why did I place my faith in a team using Carl frickin Pavano as the third starter.

-I’m listening to my Genesis greatest hits album right now and feeling it right now. The song Many Too Many is getting your boy emotional. Excellent way to prepare for the week.

-That’s all. Long Reflections and thanks for making it to this stage.

This week, I will write more. I need it. I don’t think that its merely coincidence that I’ve been slumping personally and not writing as much on my Blog.

Here are the topics I will hit on

1) Is it time for me to move away from Nashville? I’m not married, don’t have a girlfriend, completely single, no children and no major commitments here besides some friends. Should this be a time for me to move away from here. Atlanta would be the easy solution, especially with my mother, brother, sister-in-law, niece, nephews, aunts, uncles, you get the idea living there. However, if I’m going to make a major move, this is the time.

Here are the following cities that I can see myself moving to:

a) Denver
b) Vancouver
c) Toronto
d) Chicago
e) Baltimore
f) Oakland
g) St. Louis
h) Kansas City
i) Houston
j) Seattle

Here are the criteria:

a) I would prefer that it’s not in the Northeast. Grew up there, love it, need something different.

b) At least two professional teams and/or solid college sports scene. I do work in sports management after all.

c) The majority of my family lives in New York City, Atlanta, Dallas and South Carolina. I love my family and would like to be near them but I’m also a loner so moving across the country away from them doesn’t concern me greatly.

d) I’ve never been to any of the places listed above accept Baltimore, so I have no personal experiences with any of them.

e) Grew up in New York but that was too big, like the size of Nashville even though it feels too small at times and Atlanta is slightly too condensed.

I’ll take any of your suggestions.

2) NBA Review/Awards edition. Lebron is the MVP so that takes some of the drama out. The following awards will be given:

a) MVP
b) Coach of the Year
c) Rookie of the Year
d) Most Improved
e) Most Deproved
f) Defensive Player of the Year

There will probably be some miscellaneous awards as well.

3) Show that used to be the Business. All three of these shows will be done eventually but only one will be done this week. Its between…

a) A show staring one of the premier standup comedians of the 1990’s and no, its not Seinfeld.

b) This show of the 1980’s and 1990’s was based out of New York, specifically Long Island, and featured a future movie star as a supporting actor as a much younger man. His movie breakthrough featured him on a sinking vehicle of transportation.

c) This show was based out of Chicago and the main character once scored four touchdown in a high school football game.

If one of you suggests I do one of these specifically, I’ll do that one.

OK, this is really it. Time to get some rest but this has been a good set of Reflections for me. Hope you liked them as well. Until then, good fight and good night.

No comments: