Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday Reflections

Hi everyone, its time for those Sunday Reflections!

-Very excited about Major League Baseball starting up tomorrow. Opening Day is always exciting. What? There was a game tonight between Atlanta and Philadelphia? That doesn’t count. Of course it counts in the standings but I’m extremely disappointed that MLB has ruined Opening Day with playing one Sunday game before the rest of the contests on Monday.

The NFL has done the same thing with the Thursday night game before the full slate on Sunday, just another attempt by the league to make money while ignoring traditions. Speaking of MLB…

-I hope that all of you have read my MLB Predictions for this upcoming season. I broke them down into separate posts for each division and was able to give more analysis that way.

However, some of you like things condensed, so here are the entire predictions for you in condensed form:

World Series: Chicago over Tampa Bay (This is the year Meggie and Cubs fans out there. Feel the passion and excitement! )

NL East: Philadelphia

NL Central: Chicago

NL West: Los Angeles

Wild Card: New York

NL Champs: Chicago

NL MVP (top-five):

1) David Wright, New York (I can already hear you out there about New York bias)
2) Albert Pujols, St. Louis (I know he’s going to win it but lets go out on a limb a little)
3) Ryan Howard, Philadelphia
4) Hanley Ramirez, Florida
5) Manny Ramirez, Los Angeles

NL Cy Young (top-five):

1) Carlos Zambrano, Chicago
2) Johan Santana, New York
3) Brandon Webb, Arizona
4) Edinson Volquez, Cincinnati
5) Cole Hamels, Philadelphia

NL Manager of the Year: Tony LaRussa, St. Louis

NL Rookie of the Year: Cameron Maybin, Florida

NL surprise teams relative to experts’ expectations (top-five):

1) Cincinnati
2) San Francisco
3) Atlanta
4) St. Louis
5) Houston

NL disappointing teams relative to experts’ expectations (top-five):

1) Atlanta
2) Chicago (will still win division but not run away with it)
2) New York
4) Arizona
5) Pittsburgh

NL Worst Team: Pittsburgh

AL East: Tampa

AL Central: Cleveland

AL West: Seattle

Wild Card: Boston (yes, that team up north is not making the playoffs again)

AL Champs: Tampa

AL MVP (top-five):

1) Grady Sizemore, Cleveland
2) Evan Longoria, Tampa
3) Miguel Cabrera: Detroit
4) Josh Hamilton, Texas
5) Kevin Youkilis, Boston

AL Cy Young (top-five):

1) Roy Halladay, Toronto
2) Felix Hernandez, Seattle
3) Jon Lester, Boston
4) Francisco Liriano, Minnesota
5) CC Sabathia, New York

AL Manager of the Year: Joe Madden, Tampa

AL surprise teams relative to most experts’ expectations (top-five):

1) Seattle
2) Oakland
3) Toronto
4) Minnesota
5) Kansas City

AL disappointing teams relative to most experts’ expectations (top-five):

1) New York
2) Anaheim
3) Boston
4) Chicago
5) Baltimore

AL Worst team: Baltimore

-Being sick isn’t fun at all. It messes with your blogging, attending classes, etc.

I’ve been very fortunate in my life to not have to deal with being sick often. Never torn a ligament, broken a bone, etc. I’ve been very lucky.

However, this week was the worst that I’ve felt in a long, long time. I’m finally starting to come around today and hopefully taking a turn towards feeling completely better. I was able to work out today for the first time in a week and while I didn’t go full out, I was able to get some good work in.

Be fortunate for your health out there, we take it for granted most of the time. I know that I do until now. I will say that slowing my life down to get better wasn’t terrible. I know on Tuesday when I was pretty much a physical mess on a lot of medicine, I went to bed around 7:30 and didn’t leave the bed the rest of the night. I didn’t want to go to sleep but didn’t want to lie there in silence, so I had some TV on in the background.

I’ve been meaning to give 90210 a chance so I figured why not now. That show needs to improve in a big way;. Granted, I don’t remember much of that night, it was a haze but from what I was hearing, it wasn’t good.

-Holy crap, I just saw a commercial while watching TMZ that has tremendous potential. Special K cereal with chocolate bits in it. I’m getting a box on my next supermarket trip.

-Is it sad that Wrestlemania is on right now and I had no strong interest in watching it and instead was checking out some WEC mixed martial arts instead.

Years ago, Wrestlemania was appointment TV. In fact, I would plan my months around getting ready for the Royal Rumble in January, Wrestlemania in May, SummerSlam in August and the Survivor Series in November, preferably on Thanksgiving weekend.

Now, theirs a pay-per-view every month which takes away from the excitement.

-That’s all I got for my Reflections. I hit the road this week with Belmont baseball so you know that means more time for blogging. Looking forward to it.

I know that I was supposed to do a post about a Show that Used to be the Business this past week but that didn’t happen. I’ll try my best to do that for y’all.

The NBA season is wrapping up so I need to do an NBA Review before the playoffs starts

Other than that, have a good week and fight the good fight.

2 comments:

Al_Roker said...

"Now, theirs a pay-per-view every month which takes away from the excitement."

Come on, Mr. Pourtout, a distinguished writing man such as yourself knows it is "there is" and not "theirs."

Zambrano- nastiest arm in baseball and weakest mind in baseball. Doesn't have it between the ears to put a Cy Young type season together.

Al_Roker said...

"Now, theirs a pay-per-view every month which takes away from the excitement."

Come on, Mr. Pourtout, a distinguished writing man such as yourself knows it is "there is" and not "theirs."

Zambrano- nastiest arm in baseball and weakest mind in baseball. Doesn't have it between the ears to put a Cy Young type season together.