Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sunday Reflections on a Tuesday



Hey everyone, its time for those Reflections on a Tuesday.

Music to listen to: Gabriel by Lamb


I posted the video for another Lamb song, Heaven, on the Facebook but it wasn’t received well. Instead, I’m going to go with Gabriel. They’re an older group that I’ve gotten into the last few days through Pandora. I had my Thievery Corporation station going and Lamb came on. That’s the beauty of Pandora.

So, Labor Day came and went. It’s an odd holiday because it marks the end of the summer and serves as the last vacation time that many of us will get until Thanksgiving. Some people like to cook out or have a picnic, but I don’t go that route personally. I like to chill at the house.

I ended up watching most of The Game, a TV show I like, on BET and General Hospital online. Yes, I did turn in my man card during this process. It was good times in the Pourtout mansion.

-Interesting first weekend of college football. Some quick thoughts:

1) Yes, the Oregon running back should have been suspended a lengthy amount of time for his actions after the Boise State game. However, the entire season was harsh. He should have gotten half of the season and been able to work his way back on the team. The fact that the Boise St. instigator isn’t serving any suspension time is a joke.

2) Thanks for showing up Rutgers.

3) Solid game between Florida State and Miami. Both teams have the potential to be top-15 teams by the end of the year, which would be an improvement for them. Miami can be preseason top-10 team next year if all works out. One more thing, the last play of the game was the fault of the FSU quarterback and the wide receiver.

4) I always say that if you’re a top-10 NFL prospect in college, you HAVE to go pro . They’re too many risks coming back to school between injury and not playing as well the previous season. I have nothing against Sam Bradford but you have to go to the NFL when you had the chance. He’s fortunate that his shoulder is just sprained and he will miss a few games. He could have torn that shoulder up and ruined his professional career.

5) Final point. I was at the Vandy and Western Carolina game on Saturday and while it was good to see my Commies get the victory, I can completely understand if you think that the game was pointless. What is the point of Florida playing Charleston Southern? Why is Tennessee playing Western Kentucky? I’m not picking at those schools in particular, just the system. I know the economics of it. The small schools can get up to $500,000 for its beating on the field and the bigger schools get to make a major profit at the gate and prepare on the field for tougher teams in the future. However, when the 12th game was added, I think most of us were hoping to see more matchups like Georgia and Oklahoma State instead of the games mentioned earlier.

-I enjoy writing on this Blog and find enjoyment in reading your comments. With that in mind, I’m going to try a new segment in my Reflections called “The Pancakes Respond.”

First, a correction to my college football predictions. I have Penn State going undefeated, therefore winning the Big 10. Having Ohio State as the winner of the conference was an error.

To Jared re: my Tim Tebow comments. Tebow is a very good player, not a great player. I just think that he’s a beneficiary of a very good system. I have no interest in thinking about his pro prospects when evaluating him. That’s my biggest gripe when some people evaluate Tebow.

To Meggie re: textbooks. That’s jacked up that they changed the textbook.

To Jared re: George Strait. My comments do make it seem like I’m just dismissing Strait’s career. That wasn’t intended. He’s an excellent musician who has had a great, great career. You mentioned his #1 records and has an excellent fan base. However, I think that his musical scope is limited to country. I mentioned Johnny Cash and even Willie Nelson because those guys have musical fans who go beyond country music. While country music is a major component of contemporary music, its not enough to be legendary in that genre alone to become an overall musical legend.

To N. Jericho re: music of today. I think you mentioned an aspect of the post that I didn’t bring up, the role of radio stations. You hear the same five or six songs constantly on the radio and that is probably a factor in my lack of enjoying current songs. The repetitive nature is a turn off. That’s why I enjoy college radio because you get so much more variety.

To Al Roker: re music of today. First, why so negative? Second, the Billboard Top 200 albums isn’t a true indicator of all of the music out there, I will give you that. However, I made sure to include artists such as John Mayer, The Mars Volta and a few others who aren’t even currently on the charts to add some diversity. Next, the Smashing Pumpkins are solid but in 2009, they’re not a current group.

OK, that’s all. NFL predictions tomorrow night.

No comments: