Thursday, September 24, 2009

NFL Predictions: Week 3





I didn’t do an NFL Review because I’m now launching my NFL Predictions. Live the dream folks.

Music to listen to: Rolling People by The Verve



I’ll have my pick listed first, then the line and the home team will be in ALL CAPS. Also, this is for fun and for entertainment purposes only, meaning that you shouldn’t put any real money in these. Just one man’s opinion. Let’s get started.

N.Y. JETS -2.5 Tennessee: For those of you unfamiliar with betting lines, the Jets are the home team and I’m picking them to win by more than 2.5 points. This is a tricky game because there is a strong letdown factor for the Jets after they defeated New England and now have to host a desperate Titans team. Bad news, Tennessee fans, the Titans aren’t making the playoffs. I do see a valiant effort from the Titans but the Jets behind arguably the best defense in the league playing at this moment and practicing ball control on offense win by a field goal.

Jacksonville +4 HOUSTON: What this means is that I think that either Jacksonville will win the game outright or that Houston will win the game by less than four points. And that’s the end of Gambling 101. The Texans are coming off of an emotional win over Tennessee and now have to host a hapless Jacksonville team that got done in at home by Arizona. However, I think that Jacksonville keeps it interesting and loses the contest, but keeps it under four.

Kansas City +9 PHILADELPHIA: Mike Vick is back! Kevin Kolb may start at quarterback for the Eagles! Jeff Garcia! How many frickin quarterbacks do you need? When McNabb comes back from his injury, there are going to be major problems. That’s why I didn’t pick Philly to win the NFC East, too many injury pasts. I’m supposed to take a team, granted at home, that got smoked by New Orleans the week before? Yes, KC isn’t good but nine points is too much.

BALTIMORE -13.5 Cleveland: Baltimore is playing very well and Cleveland may be the worst team in the league. Here’s a mini prediction. Eric Mangini doesn’t coach a second season for the Browns. When you fine one of your players $1,701 for not paying for a $3 bottle of water at the mini bar of the hotel that you stayed in during a road game, that’s a lack of prospective.

TAMPA +6.5 N.Y. Giants: I still think that the Giants win but those are a lot of points on the road.

DETROIT +6.5 Washington: I’m taking the Lions to not only cover, but to win the game outright. Its time and the Redskins are primed to drop a road contest.

Green Bay -6.5 ST. LOUIS: Its risky taking the points on the road, especially with a team that just lost at home to Cincinnati, but the Rams are awful. The Packers push the game to a 10-point margin.

MINNESOTA -7 San Francisco: I’ve flipped several times with this pick but I’m going to take the home team to win over a gamed 49ers team. The Vikings will find a way to negate Gore’s running and force Hill to throw the ball to win, which I don’t think will happen. However, this has the potential to be the first winnable game that Farve blows for the Vikings, beware.

NEW ENGLAND -4 Atlanta: Patriots win by two touchdowns, at least. Lock of the week. Everyone is ready to throw dirt on New England and patting the Falcons backs for winning two easy home games. Now Atlanta heads on the road against a mad Patriots team. Wonder how that’s going to turn out.

SEATTLE +2.5 Chicago: I wouldn’t touch this game if real money is involved. The last time Chicago was on the road, we saw the debacle against Green Bay. On the other side, Matt Hasselbeck is hobbled and may not play. I’ll take the home team to win by a field goal.

BUFFALO +6 New Orleans: The Saints have looked great and Brees is playing at an MVP level…however, are we really willing to give them six points on the road against a decent team in the late Sunday game. Surely the Saints are the better team, but not by as much as you would think. I’m not ready to take Buffalo outright but the Bills keep it close.

SAN DIEGO -5.5 Miami: I think this is the week that the Chargers flex some muscle and get a big win against a team that blew its game on Monday night against the Colts and now has to go across the country.

Pittsburgh -4 CINCINNATI: The Steelers usually don’t blow out teams, even on the road, but I can’t pick the Bengals, even if they’re at home.

OAKLAND +1.5 Denver: If the NFL only had teams based in Ohio, then the Broncos would be world beaters. Beating Cleveland and Cincinnati means nothing to me. The Raiders should be 2-0 right now but will have to settle for 2-1.

ARIZONA -2.5 Indianapolis: This can be a fun offensive game. I’ll go with the home team but Indy can get this one just as easily.

Carolina +8.5 DALLAS: Jake Delhomme on national tv, on primetime, this can get ugly. But on the other side you have Tony Romo, who is allergic to winning a big game. I may actually boycott this contest because of the constant badgering of the viewing audience about the new Cowboys stadium. We get it, they have a new stadium with a big video board.

Last Week: 0-0
Season: 0-0

2 comments:

Jared said...

I'm taking the Bungles to win...And Texans to have no problems covering...But what do I know? I'm a blind, biased Bungles/Texans fan who has been let down by both teams (Oilers first) and should not be expecting anything even after last week's performances by both teams.

Anonymous said...

ok, this has been bugging me. it's PERSPECTIVE man, not prospective. for the love of god, we gotta get that fixed