Monday, January 18, 2010

Sunday Reflections (on a Monday)



What’s going on peoples. Hope you had a good weekend, I’ll go over mine with some reflections thrown in there as usual.
Music to listen to: Fixed Income by DJ Shadow (live version)

This is a beastly beat and the live version is incredible, especially with the visuals of this video. DJ Shadow is amazing.
-On Friday, I had a date at a place that I’ve never been to in Nashville yet was always close to. I went to Café Coco. For those of you unfamiliar with Nashville, its near Vanderbilt, where I went as an undergrad. Furthermore, I love a good coffee shop and never found my way into this place in all of my years here. I’ve driven past it because Exit/In is there as well as the epic Krispy Kreme donut shop.
So I finally got there and it’s a nice place, its no Bongo Java, but its solid. Oh, how was the date? In the past on this Blog, I’ve openly talked about my dates and romantic endeavors and ultimately jinxed myself. Not this time, she won’t even get a fake name…for now. It was a good time.
-If Kurt Warner played his final game on Saturday, it was a great career. I’m cynical by nature, especially when it comes to sports, so when you hear the entire story of Warner, I was skeptical. We all know about him bagging groceries, being a Super Bowl champion with the Rams, winning MVP’s, being left for dead professionally with the Giants, goes to the Cardinals as a backup for Matt Leinart, gets his chance to shine and takes them to the Super Bowl. He’s a Hall of Famer and one of the only openly religious athletes that I actually believe follows his virtues.
That’s why I think that he will retire…not the religious part, actually, that’s part of it. He sees the full picture of his life with his wife, kids and religion. Football is important but he has other things going on. The minute a professional athlete has these thoughts, he needs to retire and move on to his new ventures of life.
-How about those Saints dominating that contest? Reggie Bush, where has that been for your entire NFL career? I don’t know if he got tired of hearing about being a bust, his teammates motivated him, he motivated himself, his girlfriend did something, whatever preparations he did before Saturday’s game, keep doing it. Also, the Drew Brees story is tremendous as well. I didn’t think that he would be this good of an NFL quarterback coming out of Purdue and when he jacked up his shoulder with the Chargers, I thought that the Saints were getting damaged goods. I was wrong in a big way.
-Colts defeated the Ravens, that is all.
-Good seeing the Cowboys get the hammer laid out to them. Don’t think that Phillips should be fired, Vikings were just a better team. If we weren’t so drunken with Farve-overload, we would be marveling at one of the greatest seasons that an athlete has ever had. He threw four touchdowns on Sunday and he’s 40. That’s not normal, that’s legendary.
-As a Giants fan, you would think that I would have a hard time dealing with the Jets reaching the AFC title game, but I’m actually happy for the Jets fans. While they aren’t as tortured as Bills fans or heaven forbid, Browns fans, supporters of the Jets have had some rough times over the years…trust me, if they make the Super Bowl, you will hear plenty about it. Growing up, I would watch just as many Giants games as Jets contests so I actually would support them.
A lot of you are probably from areas with strong college sports and couldn’t consider cheering for the crosstown or cross state team. But the Giants and Jets are in different conferences and rarely play each other accept for the preseason and it’s a meaningless game.
However, I just don’t think that they can beat Indy on the road.
-While Wade Phillips should keep his job in Dallas, Norv Turner has to go. He seems like a nice guy but he’s underachieved with the Chargers. Some of you may say that its not Norv’s fault that his kicker had an epically awful performance or that Tomlinson is finished as an elite runner, but you have to win that game at home.

No comments: