Thursday, November 12, 2009

NFL Preview: Week 10



Time for that NFL Review with a few comments on College Football

Music to listen to: Schism by Tool



I’ll get to why I chose Tool later in the post

Since the frickin NFL has started having Thursday night games, I missed out on the San Fran and Chicago game, even though the line was the Niners by three. What the hay, I haven’t seen the score as of writing this so give me the Niners.

Crush of the Day: Samantha Harris (Northwestern)

For Northwestern pulling off the upset at Iowa last week, here’s some love to Samantha.

On to the games:

Jacksonville (+7) NEW YORK JETS: While doing some preparations for a live wrestling event on Monday, I headed to the gas station to get some sodas for a video shoot. While there, I saw three young guys, no older than 22, picking up two 40-ounce bottle of malt liquor each. This reminded me of earlier times when my boys, Carlos and John, and I would head to the bodega in the Bronx and pick up 40-ounces back when we were teenagers. I miss those times , they were certainly more simple than now.

All we were concerned about was hanging out, enjoying some brews and enjoying life. Seeing the Jets game made me thing back to my days in the NYC.

Denver (-3.5) WASHINGTON: I know Denver has not two games in a row but I can’t take Washington in this contest, they stink.

PITTSBURGH (-7) Cincinnati: The emergence of the Bengals has been enjoyable. It’s always good to see the Natti have a good team to cheer behind. Its also exciting to see Chad Ochocinco (still want to call him Chad Johnson but I have to respect his legal name) back on the scene and being positive. However, the defending champs are still who they are and I’m going to ride with that. Speaking of which…

TENNESSEE (-7) Buffalo: A lot of people here in Nashville want to speculate about why Tennessee has looked good the last two contests and gotten two wins. Some have talked about the return of Vince Young, the defense getting healthy, Chris Johnson making a case for offensive player of the year, etc.

The reason that the Titans are doing well again is that they reminded themselves of who they are. They run the ball, play solid defense and don’t commit penalties, staying disciplined in the process.

For the past two months, I’ve been talking about being more mellow, reflecting on life, finding happiness. That’s all fine and good but it also leads to complacency, which is something that I shouldn’t have at this stage. The past few days I’ve been more focused on my career and making positive life changes. Furthermore, I like Tool music, its dark but it motivates me and gets me ready.

Detroit (+17) MINNESOTA: That line is too high. If Brett Farve wasn’t such an annoying story, we would be acknowledging this as one of the best performances by an athlete in the past 20 years. Seriously, here’s a 40-year old guy who is not only the quarterback for one of the best teams in football, but he’s thriving with them. I can make a legit argument about Farve being the first-half MVP of this season, but we can’t ignore the stuff during the off season.

New Orleans (-13.5) ST. LOUIS: The Rams are terrible but give some love to Steven Jackson. Speaking of the city of New Orleans, why are you just now firing Byron Scott, Hornets? You should have just gotten rid of the guy in the offseason.

Atlanta (-1.5) CAROLINA: The line should be larger

MIAMI (-10) Tampa: Loved the throwback jerseys Tampa but it won’t help you on the road.

OAKLAND (-2) Kansas City: Why even play this game?

Seattle (+8.5) ARIZONA: Have no clue how this one turns out.

SAN DIEGO (-2) Philadelphia: Easiest pick of the week. Eagles heading across the country, too easy.

Speaking of Philly, I NetFlixed the first two seasons of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the TV show that everyone tells me is the funniest show on TV. It isn’t, but it is enjoyable. I can see how people can make proclamations about it.

I do feel better now that I’ve seen it and can judge it for myself. Next up is Dexter and then the Wire.

GREEN BAY (+3) Dallas: Cowboys a favorite on the road? No thanks.

INDY (-3) New England: Wonder what Peyton thinks of the latest transgressions of his alma mater’s football team?

CLEVELAND (+10.5) Baltimore: The Browns make this closer than expected.

Last week: 4-9
Season: 32-48-1
Money left: $0

1 comment:

Jared said...

I think people are just assuming Pittsburgh will win...And not really paying attention to the fact that the Bengals are a complete team.

I don't think the Bengals will win, but 7 points is a lot between these two teams...I'm thinking more along the lines of a 20-17 game.

Also...No college football review this week?