Wednesday, November 4, 2009

College Football Review


Its time for that College Football Review

Music to listen to: Pushit by Tool





It’s a reworking of the original version but is still excellent. This song came up on the IPod at the gym today and I reverted back to my dark moments of my life and I became truly reflective, which was a beautiful time. I know that sounds odd but its true.




Crush of the Day: Ann Curry (Oregon)

I could have gone with Kaitlin Olson after her Ducks earned the big win over USC but I’m going to stick with Ann Curry, whose been a major crush of mine for years, even though she is literally old enough to be my mother. She was 25 when I was born, thanks for that disturbing news Wikipedia.

She’s the only reason that I watch the Today show. That and my brother from another mother Al Roker.





I know, I know, lets just move on to the games.

North Carolina 20, Virginia Tech 17: The second-biggest win of the week was from the Tar Heels on the road getting the victory. It looked like Tech was going to run away with this game but UNC kept hanging in there and got a last-second field goal. For the overall state of the two programs, I think this loss was a lot worse for Va. Tech then the win for UNC. In three weeks, Virginia Tech went from national title contenders to losing two straight ACC contests. Basically, they went from the Orange Bowl to the Gator Bowl, if their lucky. That’s a pretty big fall. For the Heels, this was the biggest win of the Butch Davis era and may allow them to become a top-flight ACC school.

South Florida 30, West Virginia 19: Both of these teams are definitely the Jekyll and Hyde of the Big East. Speaking of which, I use that term often but didn’t know what it meant. I read the plot of the play and that’s some heady stuff. I may have to get the book to read about this more.

Florida State 45, North Carolina State 42: Mickey Andrews is retiring at the end of the year, which is fair. His defensive legacy is matched by only a few in the history of college football. However, his unit has underperformed in the past few years and he would merit being relieved of his duties at the end of the year. Does this mean that Bowden is gone as well? I would think yes but I have a sneaking feeling that we haven’t seen the last of Bobby.

Iowa 42, Indiana 24: You have to start looking at the Hawkeyes as a potential national title contender. They’re the best team in the Big 10 and they can hang with teams defensively. However, the lack of offense would hurt them against Alabama, Florida, Texas and dare I say it, Oregon.

Ohio State 45, New Mexico State 0: Why did this game happen?

Auburn 33, Ole Miss 20: War Eagle Flying!!!

Houston 50, Southern Miss 43: How about Keenum getting some love for the Heisman?

Florida 41, Georgia 17: Dug the black pants, Georgia. Didn’t like the black helmets.

Duke 28, Virginia 17: Break up the Blue Devils. You have to seriously consider David Cutcliffe for ACC coach of the year. Duke stinks on paper but they are in contention to play in the conference championship game. Tremendous stuff. As for Virginia, I hope Al Groh saved his money.

Temple 27, Navy 24: The Owls are bowl-eligible. As a Vanderbilt fan, I can relate to supporting a team that has a history of being not so good. Much love to Temple for getting those six wins. Unfortunately, the problem is that they still may not get chosen for a bowl because we all know that the bowl system is a business and the Owls may get left out. That would be a bad thing for college football, especially since you have so many bowl games.

Miami 28, Wake Forest 27: Entertaining game.

California 23, Arizona State 21: Cal is quietly 6-2. Unfortunately their two losses were spankings to USC and Oregon.

Illinois 38, Michigan 13: This loss shouldn’t happen and sets back the initial positive vibes of Michigan from the beginning of the year. However, the Wolverines’ fans need to show patience.

TCU 41, UNLV 0: Caught some of this game on Versus. Saw some empty seats in the stands. How does that happen? If you’re a TCU fan, you have to sell out that stadium. If I noticed it, you know that bowl officials did as well. I’m telling you now, a two-loss Notre Dame, one-loss Penn State or even a two-loss Ohio State is going to get taken over them in the BCS. Actually, I know that they can get a guarantee spot if they finish in a certain position. However, if its for an at-large bid…

Fresno State 31, Utah State 27 and Idaho 35, Louisiana Tech 34: My Vandals held on for their seventh victory of the season to set up the battle for WAC supremacy this Saturday. One of my good buddies works for Fresno so normally I would pull for them. However, since I’ve been on the Vandals bandwagon since the start of the season, I have to stick with Idaho. The Kibbie Dome will be rocking, very excited about it.

Notre Dame 40, Washington State 14: Another joke of a game. Why was this played in Texas? Someone answer that for me.

Georgia Tech 56, Vanderbilt 31: I was at this game and while I of course supported my Commies, I got my sports career started at Georgia Tech, so I have love for the Jackets as well. Seeing their offense up close was fun to witness.

Tennessee 31, South Carolina 13: Hate to say this, but I dug the black jerseys. However, why did they pair it up with the orange pants? I would have preferred to see the jerseys with the white pants, just an observation.

Oregon 47, USC 20: The Ducks offense is beastly and made USC look like a joke. Watch out for the major letdown at Stanford for Oregon this weekend. They should still win but its going to be close. Why not, take Stanford in the win. As for USC, they still may lose one more game and miss out on a BCS bowl for the first time in a long, long time. It happens to all programs. They will probably be playing for a national title in two years.

1 comment:

Jared said...

We're going to have to fight over the Idaho/Fresno State game this weekend.

Idaho has a really bad run defense...And Idaho doesn't have a running QB...

We have the best running back in college football...And we cannot stop running QBs.

Looking at the above I expect a nice win for us...Though we can't play like we've played the last two weeks.