Thursday, August 20, 2009

Random Observations on Aging, Farve and the return of a Crush of the Day


I haven’t written in a while so I’m trying to get back in my flow. What this means is that my next few posts will be in more of a free-form style in line with my Reflections. These are some Observations.
The Crush of the Day is also back in rotation and since Sanya Richards, wife of Aaron Ross, member of the Super Bowl-winning New York Giants, won the 400 meter race at the Track and Field Championships in Germany this week, I will show some love to her.

Some music to listen to: For The Love of Money by Bone Thugs and Harmony



I was reminded of this song on Sunday when TMZ caught Busy Bone coming out of a club in Los Angeles and the camera operator prompted him to rap Easy-E’s rhyme from this song. Brought back some nice memories. I loved Bone Thugs when they were out and I think that they’re one of the most underrated rap groups, check that, musical groups ever. Check their musical catalog, its deep and eclectic. Who else can say that they worked with Biggie, Mariah Carey, Easy-E and Phil Collins?

Actually, one of my new co-workers suggested Boyz 2 Men as the most underrated group ever and I can’t argue with that. Do I smell a potential weekend post topic?

Anyway, enjoy the song above while you read my thoughts.

1) Long time readers of this blog know my lack of love for Brett Farve and his constant ambiguity about playing football. I used to get annoyed with it but now I’ve reached a stage of ignoring it all together. Whenever a sports news network would have an update on Farve’s status playing for the Vikings, I would change the channel. One of my best moves in a long time as a sports fan.

So now he’s officially back playing for Minnesota. I don’t understand why the Vikings were in such demand for a 40-year-old quarterback with injury issues and whose skills declined exponentially last season. I know that he’s in an offense that he’s “familiar” with but this doesn’t look good. Furthermore, the fact that he didn’t participate in mini-camp or training camp will not endear Farve to his teammates if the team struggles to start the year. Things like bonding together in training camp matter in a sport like football.

I don’t wish any ill will towards the guy. I actually feel a small amount of sympathy for the guy. I don’t have a large amount because he’s a professional athlete who understands the risk that he’s putting his reputation, legacy and overall physical health with this move. He’s also making a lot of money so his bank has improved.

What I see in Farve is a man who isn’t ready for the next phase of his life. We all reach a point in our lives when we must move on from one aspect of our life to another. For some this is from being single to married, young to old, working to retired, accepting parenthood, married to divorced, etc. Granted, many of us will never have to do this in the public spotlight, making the transition easier but we still have to do it. Farve can’t accept the fact that the NFL and football in general will move on without him.

Many of us feel that we are invaluable to our positions in life, at least in our work profession. We would like to think that we do our job well and if we ever left our post, our co-workers would miss us and think to themselves that we were the best person to ever do that job.

Farve expected that with Green Bay when he left but when the Packers transitioned to Aaron Rodgers quickly last offseason, it hurt Farve’s pride and he’s been fighting to prove his relevance within himself and to the NFL in general. This isn’t a good thing.

Hopefully he finds whatever contentment or happiness he seeks without wearing our patience out.

I’m telling you, if you get tired of Farve, just change the channel, radio station, leave the room. It’s much better than the alternative.

2) This week, I decided to get the first season of one of my top-five television shows ever, Oz, on DVD via Netflix.

First, whoever invented Netflix deserves an award because it is one of the best things to come along this decade.

But back to Oz. Great, great show that really introduced me to adult-themed content on television. Its still the only show that I can say never had a bad episode and is re-watchable. I’ve seen some episodes up to ten times and still never find it stale.

I’m not going to say it’s the best show ever but I enjoy it.

So I’m watching it and realize that it started in 1997. I remember when it premiered on HBO and it seems like yesterday. However, that was 12 years ago, which is a significant amount of time.

I’m often honest about my age here, I’m 28, because I’m proud of it. I made it to a good age when several of my contemporaries haven’t. We can all die tomorrow but this isn’t meant to be depressing.

When I look at facts like Oz premiering 12 years ago or having a nephew in 11th grade or mathematically being able to be the father of my youngest nephew who is in the 7th grade, it makes you think.

I was reminded of this lately as well with some of my television viewing this summer. A lot of my favorite shows are on repeats so this allows me to expand my viewing horizons if I’m home.

This led me to watch shows like NYC Prep on Bravo and the Real World on MTV. I did NYC Prep because I attended a private school in the NYC, Browning represent, and wanted to see the portrayal of prep school students. While the show was very unrealistic in my view of what really goes down, what struck me the most was the age difference between me and the people on the show. I’m 10 years removed from high school.

On the Real World, the cast members are from ages 20-23 and the petty, stupid, moronic things that they argue over are completely over my head. Not that I’m super mature right now but I can tell that I have moved on from that stage of my life.

Finally, when my nephew plays his music of current artists, I don’t like it and yearn for music from the 1990’s. In fact, outside of maybe some Keri Hilson, Kings of Leon, Mars Volta, Minus the Bear, and about four or five more artists, about 80% of the music that I listen to was produced before 2005. I’ve given up listening to radio stations.

I’ve turned into my older brother, who mocked my music choices in the 1990’s.

Not saying that the music of today is bad, it can be better, but I just feel a bit of a generational gap in my interest, hobbies, etc.

The worst is in sports. When you see old highlights from the 1980’s and 1990’s and you can remember exact moments of your life in relation to them and you do the math and it happened up to 20 years ago, you’re getting up there in age.

But I wouldn’t trade any of it because those are part of our life experiences.

Its fun to look back into our past like I’m doing with Oz but its also important to move on and enjoy the present.

Hopefully in 2019 I can post something on this Blog (yes, the plan is to keep the Blog going that long), I can look at a show like House in the same way as Oz, but if that doesn’t happen, that’s fine as well. We will always have some Bone Thugs to play.

1 comment:

Al_Roker said...

If you don't like Favre and just want to ignore him and flip the channel and blah blah blah why did you write so much about hime?