Thursday, March 25, 2010

Review of my NCAA Men's Bracket



Well, my NCAA Men’s Bracket is screwed, like most of America’s. Depending on when you read this, the Regionals, or the Sweet 16 for those who like to say that, start tonight. Before you can go forward, you must look back and that’s what I’ll do here.

Midwest Region

Current matchups: Northern Iowa vs. Michigan State, Tennessee vs. Ohio State
My projected matchup: Kansas vs. Michigan State, Georgetown vs. Ohio State
My projected regional champ: Kansas
My best prediction: Ohio Stat and Michigan State
My worst prediction: Kansas
What happens now: Northern Iowa over Michigan State, Ohio Stat over Tennessee, Ohio State is in the Final Four

Thoughts: I thought that Northern Iowa could give Kansas a game but didn’t expect them to win. It didn’t reach my elite mid-major vs. average BCS team rule but it was close. The Jayhawks have a history of coming up short and I should have had them losing in at least the Elite Eight and not winning my whole title, that’s why I will lose my pool. Lucked out with Michigan State getting a last second shot over Maryland. I’m not mad about losing the Georgetown vs. Ohio matchup because you can’t project a below .500 MAC team beating a solid Big East team. Should have had more faith in Tennessee, even though when your path to the Regionals is San Diego State and Ohio, that’s not great. As a Georgia Tech fan, Paul Hewitt failed as a coach this year and has been for the past five years. If he wants to go to St. John’s let him.

West Region
Current matchups: Syracuse vs. Butler, Xavier vs. Kansas State
My projected matchup: Syracuse vs. Vanderbilt, Xavier vs. Kansas State
My projected Regional champ: Syracuse
My best prediction: Three out of four Sweet 16 teams
My worst prediction: Vandy in Sweet 16
What happens now: Syracuse over Butler, Kansas St. over Xavier, Syracuse is in the Final Four

Thoughts: Follow your own rules Etienne Marcel. If I did, there is no way I would have taken Vandy over Murray St. However, to be fair, I was a missed jump shot away from that prediction coming true. Shouldn’t have taken UTEP over Butler. Syracuse is the quietest top team left and I think the team wants it that way and as a fan, I don’t mind it as well. Feeling very, very shaky about not putting Kansas St. in Final Four

East Region

Current matchups: Kentucky vs. Cornell, Washington vs. West Virginia
My projected matchup: Kentucky vs. Cornell (damn right I did), New Mexico vs. West Virginia
My projected Regional champ: Kentucky
My best prediction: Cornell of course
Worst prediction: New Mexico in Sweet 16, Wofford over Wisconsin
What happens now: Kentucky over Cornell, West Virginia over Washington, Kentucky is in the Final Four

Thoughts: I knew Cornell was a legit team when I saw them lose a very close game to Kansas on the road earlier in the year. The 12 seed was insulting. You mean to tell me that Minnesota, San Diego State, heck Florida was better than them this season. Absolutely not. Even Northern Iowa should have gotten a five or six seed and got stuck with an eight. I can go on but lets move on. So that was a good pick by me. Kicking myself for not having Kentucky winning the whole thing. I’ve said since the beginning of the year that they’re the most talented team with the best coach for them. Honestly, I got scared off by Cousins but should have realized that they have Wall, Patterson and Bledsoe to cover up for Cousins if he gets moody. Didn’t expect New Mexico to get run out of the gym like that by Washington.

South Region

Current matchups: Duke vs. Purdue, Baylor vs. St. Mary’s
My projected matchups: Duke vs. Utah State, Baylor vs. Villanova
My projected Regional Champ: Villanova
My best prediction: Baylor in the Sweet 16
My worst prediction: Where do I start? Villanova in the Final Four…Utah State in the Sweet 16, Siena over Purdue…bad region for me.
What happens now: Duke over Purdue, Baylor over St. Mary’s, Duke is in the Final Four and CBS rejoices

Thoughts: Why, oh why, did I have Villanova? Not only should I have seen St. Mary’s beating them (the elite mid-major thing), but Nova was seeded too high at two AND I didn’t include a major rule in picking games in my prediction post and therefore thought about it too late. Look for how a team does in its final ten games BEFORE it’s conference tournament. Nova lost five of its last six games, major red flags there. Took a chance on Utah State, it happens. Underestimated Purdue, gotta acknowledge that.

OK, so that was a review of my picks, enjoy the games.

No comments: