Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sunday Reflections


Hey everyone, its time for those Sunday Reflections:

Music to listen to: Teflon by The Mars Volta



I’ve been playing the guys’ new album constantly for the past few days and I’m liking it. Right now, its my third favorite album behind De-Loused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute. It definitely laps Amputechture and is neck and neck with Bedlam in Goliath.

Its definitely more mellow then their previous recordings, it really sounds more like a Omar Rodriguez-Lopez solo or group album than a Mars Volta album. Like it nonetheless.

Last week, I dedicated my whole Sunday Reflections to Michael Jackson after his death. That wasn’t a fun post. The mood is somber once again after the passing of Steve McNair.

If you’re reading this Blog, you know who he is so I don’t have to go into details about his past. It was surreal yesterday watching TV, preparing to see the 4th of July Fireworks here in Nashville and then viewing the special report on NBC, channel four here, and seeing Rudy Kalis, the sports director, talking about it.

Right at that moment, I just became sad and numb. I didn’t cry or scream or anything. I was speechless. Then I turned to 104.5, the local sports talk station and hear George Plaster talking about it and he was in shock just like me.

I ended up watching about an hour of coverage on TV and listening on the radio before it was getting too sad. Then I was about to head out to the fireworks but it started pouring outside and at that time, I knew that this would be unfortunately a memorable 4th of July for many of us here in Nashville.

My first memory of McNair was seeing him at Alcorn State just dominating the competition and wondering if he could translate that into the NFL. I was really rooting for him because, to keep it real here, he was a quarterback who was Black and I wanted to see him succeed.

I then remember seeing him sit on the bench and wanted him to play so badly. He rarely played his first two or three years in the league but when he got his chance, he took advantage of it.

So when I started attending Vanderbilt in the fall of 1999, I was excited to have the chance to follow him upclose. Amazingly, he led the Titans to the Super Bowl that season and I’ll never forget that football season.

You can read or listen to all of the stories of McNair’s legacy on and off the field but its just sad to see such a young man dead when he was doing so many positive things for this Nashville community and the southeast in general, especially in Mississippi, its sad.

I’m watching Eddie George talking about McNair right now and it hurts to see him hurting.

Pray for Steve’s family at this time because those are the people that are going to miss him the most and need the most support.

No comments: